Thread: A West Marches (still-)Unnamed Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Müller View Post
    Wow, XCali, now that's a good feedback! Thanks a lot! <3
    I understand what you mean, but I think that the style I'm trying to do is more technical/contemporary, so I'm trying to not put too much realistic details, otherwise I think I'd have to pay way more attention to hills, mountains and swamps, so they would match, if you know what I mean. Even the ocean waters, I didn't initially plan any texture there, so it would be a very plain light blue... I think what I'm aiming at is something that resembles the original Faerûn map, with a pinch of National Geographic, haha.

Anyway, the ocean is really better with texture. And yep, it looks too patchy... I used the Difference Clouds filter to try it out, but I'm going to fix that by actually drawing the ocean bed.

Again, thanks a lot!
    Pleasure!

I hope you got some use out of my feedback. I tried to keep it as simple as possible for your styles purposes. With my Sambria map, I went all in with the ocean because my land was also quite detailed. I do, however, believe the way in the sample will be perfectly fine for what you are trying. Though, I do get what you are saying. It is about keeping the balance. Still, making the ocean slightly more interesting will help the overall map without having to redo the land.

Regardless of your choice, your map is coming along really nicely! My imagination is already doing rounds about it.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Still, making the ocean slightly more interesting will help the overall map without having to redo the land.
    Well, here it goes!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-Fenda---Mapa07.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	8.96 MB 
ID:	116073

For now I'll let it rest a bit — the next step is a little more complicated. Since the areas are supposed to be unknown to the players, and the map is going to be hang on the wall of the shop, we'll develop a new script (perhaps a runic one), so people can stop by and try to crack the code as they come to play: we're going to spread some of the letters/text among the adventures, so the characters can decypher the whole map bit by bit.

Here's my first sketch of the script:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	runes.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	116074