Thread: A West Marches (still-)Unnamed Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip A West Marches (still-)Unnamed Map

Yay, a new project (that I almost forgot to share)!

A friend and I are developing a RPG project on a friends' local boardgame shop. They're excited to bring role-playing games to their public, and we already developed some playing activities on other institutions. This time, we're going to try a West Marches campaign (you can read more about it here). In short, it's an open-world where any players can try to explore things on a semi-uncharted land. The characters are based on a single settlement, and each time there's a game session, they venture somewhere and find what's there.

Our background idea is that the characters are adventurers from a small settlement of a banished people. They were forced by some sort of religious taboo to go live in the wildlands of a so-called cursed and abandoned land, a place where a large and extinct civilization once was. The players/adventurers only have an old map of this part of the continent, and even the labels are so old that no one can read them -- that is, I'm going to develop some sort of fictional writing system, and decoding the labels will be part of the experience, since the map will be permanently displayed on one of our friends' gaming rooms.

I'm super excited to see this done!

A personal challenge in this one is to emulate a style of map I've never tried before: a bird's eye view of an entire region, (ultra)heavily inspired by the Faerûn 3rd Edition Map.

Here are some steps of the process until now, with the first being a drawing I made with my friend on paper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-Fenda---Mapa00.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	115977 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-Fenda---Mapa01.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	115978 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-Fenda---Mapa02.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	4.17 MB 
ID:	115979 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-Fenda---Mapa03.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	115980

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-Fenda---Mapa04.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	5.96 MB 
ID:	115981

The hard part for me is to NOT detail it too much, haha.
    I'll be posting each advancement on the illustration as soon as I have them.

I hope you guys enjoy it!
    Last edited by Bruno Müller; 06-11-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: minor corrections