Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map The Firth of Indecision

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	116001

This is probably my best go at making a regional map, so far. I've watched a few WASD20 videos on map making techniques, but beyond that, I was winging it with most of the techniques used here. It is by the grace of the gods that it turned out ok in the end. I'm tossing around the idea of adding color at a later point.

Any comments, critiques, or constructive criticisms are welcome. I'm here to learn!

(Also, I hope I'm formatting this correctly.)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

An excellent map! I always like black and white styled maps. The compass at the bottom is really cool as well! The only improvement I would possibly suggest would be to add a tiny bit of texture to the white sides of the mountains. In a few cases it is difficult to tell where they end but really nice all the same!

That's a very good map and you're definitely on the right path with it. I see you planned your map from the beginning to prepare your labels : that's great !
    Practice will help you to develop your own style and techniques, and to find a way to mark the different biomes without confusion : for now, the "light" slope of your mountains is a bit nude and a little unclear (for example South of Aiko or South of Atria).
    I would also recommend you to use a heavyweight paper, at least 150g, for a better durability : heavyweight paper tolerates better the eraser and don't fold that easily, making the map generally looking better
    But in any case : have some rep for your good start ! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    I would also recommend you to use a heavyweight paper, at least 150g, for a better durability : heavyweight paper tolerates better the eraser and don't fold that easily, making the map generally looking better
    But in any case : have some rep for your good start ! ^^
    That's wonderful advise! Thank you for taking the time to comment. Sorry it took me forever to respond.

That's a great start. I'm always fond of black and white maps, they're really hard to do because you have do relay heavily on textures; I agree here with Arimel and Bee about the mountains and the kind of paper - specially if you want to color it later!

A personal thing to me that I always like to do is: borders. And I don't mean fancy, ornamental ones. Just a little frame to give room between the map and the paper border, so it can breathe a little. I know that can't be done right now in this one, but I think you could consider for the next ones! ^^

A very nice little piece indeed. I agree with bruno that borders help to give some much needed white space to a map. But as MistyBee mentioned, you are off to a really good start. Keep practicing your craft and it will only continue to improve.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Ooh, I like the mountains- especially the crosshatching on them. Black and white can be hard to pull off because of the shading.

Real nice map, that style of mountain can be hard for newer mapmakers sometimes but they always look good to me.

Everyone had some really good advice already so be I can add is trying to get the waves on your coastline lined up a little straighter, maybe use a ruler and make light marks to use as a guide?