Thread: World Map for fantasy setting

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected Carl Roberts's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip World Map for fantasy setting

Greetings all,

Posted this on my blog - still figuring out all the navigation.

Staring place for the world setting for a series of novels I'm working on. I've got most of the large scale mechanics figured out - no science content yet - working toward getting regional weather in place.

Here's the overall map, plus another with latitude markings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	master blank.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	658.4 KB 
ID:	116018

Name:	master latitude.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	116017

Would love to hear any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Map

Here's some more mapping...

...ocean currents...

Name:	lf ocean currents.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	116038

Sorry the current arrows aren't so obvious...pencils don't show up well on scans...looking for some alternatives

Please share thoughts.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hello there!

I have been looking over your drawings, and it is good too challenge yourself in taking on something like ocean currents. But, I feel your landmass shapes are extremely odd. Those almost horizontal sections really throws one off immediately. There my suggestion would be to look at real world landmasses to see what kinds of things happened over the millennia forming the shapes of it.
    Just a note, it is quite rare in nature to find straight lines. Something you might want to consider going forward.

Good luck,
    Omri

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Hello there!

I have been looking over your drawings, and it is good too challenge yourself in taking on something like ocean currents. But, I feel your landmass shapes are extremely odd. Those almost horizontal sections really throws one off immediately. There my suggestion would be to look at real world landmasses to see what kinds of things happened over the millennia forming the shapes of it.
    Just a note, it is quite rare in nature to find straight lines. Something you might want to consider going forward.

Good luck,
    Omri
    Hey Omri - Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, I know there's a lot of straight lines. I haven't gone through it yet and tried to pixelate or randomize the coastlines. Most of this is hand-drawn, and I'm still looking for a program that suits my needs and do some of the editing that I really can't do (easily) by hand.

Thanks the same! I'll keep posting stuff as I get it updated, changed, enlarged, etc.

Hey Carl

I've been looking at your maps, and I think I understand partly what xCali was trying to say. Part of the issue I'm having... is that the landmasses are too chunky... to blockish.

Best way that I can explain it... it's almost as if you had a piece of paper that was your original land mass, and you tore that piece of paper up and spread it out to make your land masses.

Fault lines do this in some what a similar fashion... but even then, the landmass didn't start out with a straight edge. Also... there is erosion to consider. Landmasses are always changing. Volcanoes, over time, create new landmasses, or add to existing ones. Erosion takes a way from the landmasses. Fault lines crack and break apart, separate and create new fault lines which continue the process. Flooding causes lower landmasses to be engulfed, so that only their higher altitudes are visible in the shape of small islands.

If you don't want to pay for a program to help you with your mapping, may I suggest Gimp? A lot of people here use it, there are youtube tutorials for it. And from what I understand, it helps create some really nice maps! I would also agree with xCali's suggestion, and look at other world maps, perhaps check some WIP's in the world mapping section, to get an idea of how others draw their land masses.

I think once you get the hang of that, and tighten up what you have here, it will be a fantastic map!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Hey Carl

I've been looking at your maps, and I think I understand partly what xCali was trying to say. Part of the issue I'm having... is that the landmasses are too chunky... to blockish.

Best way that I can explain it... it's almost as if you had a piece of paper that was your original land mass, and you tore that piece of paper up and spread it out to make your land masses.

Fault lines do this in some what a similar fashion... but even then, the landmass didn't start out with a straight edge. Also... there is erosion to consider. Landmasses are always changing. Volcanoes, over time, create new landmasses, or add to existing ones. Erosion takes a way from the landmasses. Fault lines crack and break apart, separate and create new fault lines which continue the process. Flooding causes lower landmasses to be engulfed, so that only their higher altitudes are visible in the shape of small islands.

If you don't want to pay for a program to help you with your mapping, may I suggest Gimp? A lot of people here use it, there are youtube tutorials for it. And from what I understand, it helps create some really nice maps! I would also agree with xCali's suggestion, and look at other world maps, perhaps check some WIP's in the world mapping section, to get an idea of how others draw their land masses.

I think once you get the hang of that, and tighten up what you have here, it will be a fantastic map!
    Hey ladiestorm,

Yes, you're right - all those things you mentioned do have a dramatic effect on the landmasses. As I mentioned earlier, that's something I'm still working on.

Thanks for the program suggestion!! I've downloaded GIMP and toyed with it a bit. I'll watch some of the youtube videos this week and see where that gets me.

FIY - I've spent MONTHS looking at other people's maps, so I have a fair idea of what my goal is. This is my first time working on something of this magnitude and - eventual - detail. I'm trying to take 'the elephant' approach, so I don't get to overwhelmed.

I do, very much, appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

>> How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time <<