Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How realistic is this map?

Guild Novice

Question How realistic is this map?

Hello everyone,

Just got some inspiration and drew a quick sketch of a world and I'm not much of a geography expert so just wondering how realistic this map is in terms of where everything is (mountains, forests, rivers, lakes, etc)? the grey around the mountains are supposed to represent hills... I know, the looks need some work, but this is just a quick draft. A better question might be, will anyone complain about this map if a story/book(s) is made about it. You can probably tell that it is very similar to europe so imagine that this world replicates europes climate and all that (or not?).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	draft without text.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	116088

Also no idea if you guys answer stuff like this on here, if I'm in the wrong section sorry!

Thanks

The map in incomplete, two of the continents are cut in half.
    Aside from that, some of the mountains chains look unnatural but I'm not an expert on tectonic.

Guild Novice

Hey, thanks for replying

The continents aren't actually cut in half, they just haven't been fully mapped yet (this is kinda like a map of the known world), for example the one on the right has a large mountain range that noone has crossed yet (now that I think about it people could just sail around it, I'll have to think about that one...).

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Aside from that, some of the mountains chains look unnatural but I'm not an expert on tectonic.
    Hi (Edit: @Azelor), I don't know if I agree. A lot of time people cut a section off a continent, if not just to suggest that there will be more to explore to those areas not mapped.
    So, it might come down to what the mapper wants to show on this section.

That said, that smallish island on the left does look a bit odd cut like that.
    Last edited by XCali; 06-17-2019 at 12:34 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hey Europe ! Scotland (which appears to be absent from this map) has a message for you : anything is realistic geologically on a scale less than a few thousand kilometers, and your rivers are ok. Your climates don't need to follow European ones, it depends on the latitude, the other continents and the fact that Asia and Africa disappeared will probably make it wetter.

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Hi Adfor
    Wrong guy.

Since I'm here I may as well comment. The mountains do look a bit strange, but like Azélor, I'm no expert on plate tectonics. Otherwise the rivers look fine, they all seem to flow from high to low.

I hope that you pursue a higher quality version of this, as the crude line work is driving my OCD absolutely crazy.

Cheers!

IR

Guild Novice

Thanks for the responses

It seems like my mountains and rivers will make do, but I guess I will have to work climate and scale (been struggling on scale for a while).

And yes don't worry, I will make a much better quality version, sorry haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    I agree with the mountain ranges not being placed properly. Think of an island like those in Hawaii formed by volcanos. The peak is always starting in the middle or close to it since that's where the lava came out long ago, pouring down to form the island. It always builds up from the middle or close to it if it's a volcanic island.

Usually volcanic islands also start with an initial island and new islands are formed in a row following the fault line deep under the ocean. So any islands in a group of volcanic islands would likely be in a row and starting with the oldest island down to the newest formed. Volcanic islands have few if any beaches as those take years to form, often from pieces of shells and coral (thus requiring a reef formation at some point in the past or present).

If you want an island with a different design you want to think of how it formed. If it was from two tectonic plates smashing together and forming peaks, they too will likely follow a fault line. Rather than the island being a single peak in the middle tapering off on all sides, you would have a row of peaks down the center of the island. Over the years after the islands formation there could be natural events that erode one side or change it in other ways. People may even be involved in changing the landscape.

Hope some of those details help.

Every map is an abstraction of a place done for a specific purpose and a specific client (and fixed in a particular medium, which may seriously impact how the map is realized). Knowing how abstract the map is intended to be plays heavily into being able to describe how "realistic" the map is (chevron mountains, blob forests, and stroke rivers all suggest a high degree of abstraction, which really broadens the bounds of being able to give a "realistic" or not judgement). It's also hard to tell if the features make much sense without some information about scale and projection, because some elements that are acceptable for a map small island might not be at all correct for a map of a hemisphere.

One thing that I can say, though, is that mountains tend to intersect at about 120 degree angles on a continental scale: 90 degree intersections are much less likely. Also, mountain ranges tend not to start and stop without a very good geologic reason.

Guild Novice

Hey guys, thanks again for the help.

I've tweaked the map a little (not much though to be honest) and came up with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	without text.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	116106

I'll work on the islands like you said and put some mountains in the middle in a bit. Unfortunately I'm still unsure about scale and I just thought I'd ask, how important is it to pinpoint the exact scale of my map? I don't want to keep fussing over it but can't decide, any ideas? For now I'll just assume that left continent is a bit smaller than europe and the right is the size of turkey?

thanks again

EDIT: tried to update the map real quick (mountains up top were missing) but think i duplicated it, oh well haha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	without text.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	116105  
    Last edited by intipablo; 06-16-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast