Thread: Mirro- First Map Posting

Map Mirro- First Map Posting

This is a map I recently completed for an author friend. She had an old concept map that she hated because it looked terrible and was no longer applicable after changing her creation story. I told her I could fix it, and two months later, here we are.
    This is a hand drawn (poorly scanned- sorry about that) using a combination of pens and pencil. It's also the second draft. If I can figure out ways to make it better, I might even scrap it and do a third at some point.
    Mirro is essentially Europe several thousand years after a global catastrophe.
    Please add your thoughts, opinions, critiques, and suggestions as I know I still have A LOT to learn.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIC Document_preview.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	114823

First of all, welcome to the Guild!

This is a really nice piece for a first post, well done! You have a clear and neat style, and the map is easy to read. I especially like the shading effect on the coastlines and the design of your compass rose.
    The rivers on this map break all the rules, though, beware the River Police! We have an extremely useful sticky thread on how to get your water flowing correctly, which I wholeheartedly recommend to all folks at the start of their mapping journeys. Have look through if you like. But the short and sweet version is essentially that your rivers should always start from high ground and run towards the sea. Large rivers generally have smaller ones joining them on their way to the coast, but they very rarely split after they've come together, and practically always have only outlet that makes it to the sea. Rivers running from coast to coast are a definite no-no.

Other than the river issues (and this is something almost every beginner has trouble with) I really like your map. I hope we get to see more from you!
    Last edited by Kellerica; 04-15-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Very nicely done, and welcome to the Guild!

Yup, I'm with Kellerica, the compass rose is a lovely design, and the map is very clear and readable. Your linework is quite good as well. A very impressive first map. Hope to see more of your work in the months ahead.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

This is really great stuff! You have a strong, clear style and could easily make a go of commissions. The text is a *little* hard to read for me, and might be a tad over-stylized. If it were to be printed in a novel, you'd need a very clear text since some of the labels would need to be quite small to fit in a paperback, but I do admire that you achieved a consistent look to all the lettering!

Very well done. Have some rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    First of all, welcome to the Guild!

This is a really nice piece for a first post, well done! You have a clear and neat style, and the map is easy to read. I especially like the shading effect on the coastlines and the design of your compass rose.
    The rivers on this map break all the rules, though, beware the River Police! We have an extremely useful sticky thread on how to get your water flowing correctly, which I wholeheartedly recommend to all folks at the start of their mapping journeys. Have look through if you like. But the short and sweet version is essentially that your rivers should always start from high ground and run towards the sea. Large rivers generally have smaller ones joining them on their way to the coast, but they very rarely split after they've come together, and practically always have only outlet that makes it to the sea. Rivers running from coast to coast are a definite no-no.

Other than the river issues (and this is something almost every beginner has trouble with) I really like your map. I hope we get to see more from you!

Oh no! I thought I fixed that! Thank you for the helpful feedback. WOuld you mind pointing out a couple of places that I did that so that I can correct it?

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback, everyone. I appreciate it so much!
    Sorry I disappeared and didn't reply sooner. My personal life kinda went a little crazy over the summer and is just now starting to settle down again. Hopefully, I will be able to start drawing again soon! You are all so kind.

Welcome to the guild AalyaSenai!
    This is a wonderful first map Like others have said about the rivers, Nuina River in the north connects to Noever bay in the south through a lake in the middle of the map which isn't realistic. Water runs from land out to sea. When water bodies cut across land it's a sea or an ocean.
    I like the overall shape of the coast lines, and especially enjoy the ripping. Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomb View Post
    Welcome to the guild AalyaSenai!
    This is a wonderful first map Like others have said about the rivers, Nuina River in the north connects to Noever bay in the south through a lake in the middle of the map which isn't realistic. Water runs from land out to sea. When water bodies cut across land it's a sea or an ocean.
    I like the overall shape of the coast lines, and especially enjoy the ripping. Nicely done.
    That lake gave me so much heartache! This was actually a map for a friend. Her concept was that sometime in the future there is some kind of a major catastrophe that had creates a monster crater of sorts smack in the middle of Europe, and this map is at least 100 years after that incident. Since I don't have access to any editing software, I hand draw everything, and I couldn't find any good tutorials addressing how to handle drawing something like that. Any tips would be deeply appreciated because I was completely at a loss over that dumb crater-lake!

I'm glad you like the Ripping. "Greece" kinda got out of hand. But I like how it turned out too. xD