Thread: Llaethod

Default Llaethod

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Llaethod-p.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	116121

This is the next map I've made for a region in the world I'm building called Aelwydi. Here we have the home of the minotaurs, the tropical island chain known as Llaethod.

Thousands of years ago these islands were part of one large island/continent known as Throthwy which was the home of Elven empire. When the war in heaven ended the lives of most of the gods it also destroyed Throthwy leaving it in it's current state.

Llaethod is split up between various pirate and slaver kings of a chaotic and bloody nature. No one has managed to united the different minotaur factions under one banner which is probably a good thing for the rest of the world!

There may well also be some Tritons or sea elves living in the ruins beneath the seas around Llaethod but I haven't really lored that out fully.

To make the map I used a bunch of NASA satellite photos to create a basic height map of different islands from all over the world and then built this parchment map based on that. You can check the terrain map for Llaethod here.

Sounds like a lovely holiday destination spot! I like the simple, clear layout. The use of red in an otherwise limited color palette is quite dramatic and attractive. Very nicely composed map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hey QED42, sorry for this late response. I saved the thread to comment on it and then, life happened and it got lost in the meanders of my computer.

I love this new style of yours (I seem to remember several maps in this fashion) and the blade is a nice touch (I'm partial to blades myself). Hope to see more in the future

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Hey QED42, sorry for this late response. I saved the thread to comment on it and then, life happened and it got lost in the meanders of my computer.

I love this new style of yours (I seem to remember several maps in this fashion) and the blade is a nice touch (I'm partial to blades myself). Hope to see more in the future
    Better late than never Thank you for the kind words, your maps are always an inspiration!