Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My attempt at making own Atlas

Default My attempt at making own Atlas

Hi!

For years I had a dream to make my own Atlas, pretty much in a modern style atlases of Earth. I was struggling for bit amount of time with projections as I prefer vector maps, and re-projecting was a nightmare, but luckily I was able to transfer my world map in QGIS. Now I have one "small" obstacle, which is topography as I'm too picky and nothing really satisfy me and I'm not too god with drawing topography by hand. I'm keeping close eye at all GANs developments as I think there is a future of fantasy mapping.

Anyway some of maps of my planned atlas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ST map.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	6.25 MB 
ID:	116137

Name:	Układ_wydruku_26.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	116138

Name:	Układ wydruku 36.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	116139

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ryan Pourchot's Avatar

Very impressive work Santos. I love the topographic detail, and the modern map style here.
    I've been struggling to finish my own world map, going on 3 years now.

Looking forward to seeing more, and the inspiration for other cartographers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This looks really cool so far.

How did you transfer your vector files to QGIS? I'm yet to figure out a way to georeference SVG files, and Inkscape doesn't seem to want to work with linked images so I can separate out logical layers into different files.

Looking really good!

As a great fan of atlas style maps I have to say I like your colours and shading a lot. Maybe the coastlines would need a little cleaning, as the are maybe a bit too similarly rugged in every part. But the terrain and mountains look great, I would be quite satisfied!

How much information are you going to add to the topographic maps? As some suggested also in the other thread, it would be nice to see roads, cities and borders on top of the terrain.

Anyway I'm looking forward to where this project will lead!
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

looking very good!

the amount of detail of the mountains, lowlands, rivers and the coastline is very great.
    it is looking very accurate

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Can you tell me more about QGIS for fantasy mapping - is there a tutorial or anything? I have my own world of Helevos in Photoshop but the file sizes in bitmap are just getting unmanageable, I've been thinking I need more of a vector solution.

Your work and expertise look great and a tutorial about porting fictional topographic maps to GIS would be a great resource here at the Guild. You should definitely consider that.

Now, as to your world. I would love to see more. Can you show more? It seems inspiring.

Thanks for great reviews guys!

My world was generated in FT3 so that's why coastlines may look strange, but I like quality and process of vectorising is very easy.

I will try to make small tutorial how I put my map from FT3 in to QGIS

This looks fabulous so far! Can't wait to see more.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I made small tutorial, hope it will be understandable

Didn't know how to attach pdf to my post sadly

Attachment 116480
    Last edited by santos; 07-09-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast