Thread: Recurring Commission for D&D Campaign Maps

Post Recurring Commission for D&D Campaign Maps

Oh look, another D&D custom map request thread by a guy who just joined to commission some maps!

Some friends and I just started a campaign, of which I'm the DM. They're very tactile, so I'd like to be able to provide good quality physical maps of locations to them. For the purposes of this thread/request, I'm looking for a map of the town they started in as well as a map of the nation they all currently occupy. I have some initial renders of them both, but they're still somewhat ambiguous in place,s so I'm still open to collaboration at this point. Eventually, as the campaign progresses and they visit more places, I'd like to leave the commission open so that I could commission more maps from the same person, circumstances permitting.

To give some more context, here's my current rough render of the town:
    https://puu.sh/DHs5t.png (Primary made on an online generator and then run through some Photoshopping.)

For the nation, there's a lot that's still malleable. I used a generator to give me a sense of what the continents were (Projection 1 & Projection 2). Notably, it doesn't have any rivers or biomes, so those need to be worked out. I'm also fairly certain that tectonics weren't a factor. The specific area I've chosen for the nation they started in is below:
    https://puu.sh/DHsCs.png (Label-less, USA for scale, Height Map)

For both of these, I'm pretty open to tweaks and discussion still (although some things are set already, based on previous sessions).

Style
    Looking for the stereotypical middle-ages style fantasy map style here. No super fancy embroidery or anything, just the main areas labeled, geographical landmarks noted, mostly accurate borders/rivers/roads, things like that. To get a sense of the general vibe I'm looking for:
    https://patch.com/illinois/napervill...old-map-museum
    https://www.deviantart.com/sapiento/...rnia-189755530
    https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...a0y0eykjpg.jpg

As a note, since I'd want to print this on paper and try to age it a little, being able to produce a mostly black & white version to print and age naturally would be a huge plus. (Though I'm kinda first-time DIY-ing that, so if you have any better suggestions on how to do it I'm all ears.)

Size & Quality
    This would mostly be for print, so standard US Letter size and quality would work. If I ever think I'd need a bigger size, say for a world map, I'll let you know then and we'll adjust timelines and price accordingly.

Payment
    I obviously want to pay you for your work. I'm a bit new at knowing what standard rates are for different styles/levels of maps, so I'll let you name your price and we'll talk from there.

Timeline
    As I mentioned, this would be a sort of ongoing commission based on availability, wherein if a new area or city became relevant, I'd want to commission it. For the first two maps, it'd be good to have those done by this Saturday, June 22, (the date of our next session) but given how close that is, it's not a hard deadline.

Copyright
    I'd like full ownership of any produced map so that I could monetize/distribute it at my discretion. You would also be able to use it for personal use.

Contact
    I'll do my best to check replies here while looking for an artist, but the best way to contact me would be through email at: email@eliasthompson.com
    Last edited by eliasthompson; 06-19-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Payment is obviously going to be variable based upon the cartographer you talk to. However it should be noted that a project like this should be expected to come to 1000usd or more. A map like this, redone in the style requested could take upwards of 20-30+ hours to complete. Assuming the artist is asking 30USD an hour for their time and assuming that the nation map takes around 15 hours, and the city map takes another 15 you're looking at approximately 900USD respectively if not more. Then you mention copyright and wanting full ownership. This is going to cost more due to the legalities and the nature of the purchase. I'm not here to submit myself as an artist, just here to inform. As far as the deadline goes, that'd be difficult to accomplish if not nigh impossible you'd be asking the artist to work on these for 10 hours a day for at minimum the next three days. Regardless, good luck in your search, and i hope you've got some money saved up.

Hi!

I have sent you an email.

- Mikael
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

I sent you an email earlier today. Just let me know your thoughts when you get a moment.

RalarisMaps

Thanks for the information Pestilence, and thank you to everyone who replied to this both here in the topic and over email. I've committed to an artist, so, mods, feel free to archive this request and mark it as taken.