Thread: Cube, The map maker with a basic name...

Info Cube, The map maker with a basic name...

Hey there everyone... well... everyone that's willing to welcome new people that is.

I'm new to the site, actually caught wind of it's existence on Youtube. Looks like a cozy little place to settle in! I looked around a bit and you guys seem to have a solid community going. I suppose I wanted to join to show off my skills a bit, I'll be posting in the finished maps section once I finish this post. Hell, maybe even do a few commissions on the side if people want em'!

=

So, a little about myself, I'm an avid D&D gm. I run games every Wednesday and Friday online using Tabletop Simulator, and have been for a few years now. I've been a graphic designer for... somewhere in the 8-10 year range. By the time I went to college for graphic design I pretty much knew everything there was to know.

After finishing up there I went into freelance graphic design, and I do okay money wise. Not great... but it pays the bills so I can't complain too much. I unfortunately find myself unchallenged by the standard business cards, flyers, and banners my job requires me to make on a semi regular basis. But again, it pays the bills... so that's something.

After a while, I combined these two skill sets. Starting drawing maps in Photoshop, didn't take long before I got obsessed with making the best set-up for my players, and now I make (nearly) all my own assets for D&D. Including, but not limited to, a world map. Been having a lot of fun with it lately. If I'm not playing games on PS4 or hanging with the misses, I'm likely writing, drawing, planning, etc.

=

Anyway, that's the short and sweet version of why I signed up here. Excited to see what comes from joining a whole community based around making maps and all that stuff! Maybe I'll even end up on the front page? We'll see I suppose. So, thanks for reading if you made it this far into me rambling!

Hiya!

Always room for more GM's and designers on this forum, I should think!

As a designer, you should have a pretty good basis for digital cartography. At the very least, I can imagine you should have a decent grasp on the software you're using. I've been doing graphic design on and off for some years now. It can be fun work at times, but nowhere near as satisfying as map-making, am I right I actually got into map-making first, and interest in design spawned only as an side effect of that. I've learned almost everything I know about Photoshop from map-making, and a huge chunk of it from these forums.

Well, in any case. As I already said in you map thread: glad to have you along. Welcome aboard!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.