Thread: Alteria, a world map ... and then some

Map Alteria, a world map ... and then some

Hi folks,

Today, I'm posting a recently finished map requested by Claybourne here at the Guild.

The map is size A4 and several will follow as I'm already mapping all the continents in the same size.

As always, your thoughts on this interest me.

Here's the map :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alteria final post.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	862.7 KB 
ID:	116720
    © Thomas REY - 2019 - All rights reserved

The continental maps are more detailed of course and, as each one has a dominant biome, I have to be inventive to give each map its own personality and of course, as I go, I have to go back to the finished maps (three are done today) and implement the unique features I've applied to the large biomes to the smaller ones on the other maps. It's long but a learning experience and it allows me to develop a pretty consistent style which is good.

In the end, I'll stitch everything together to have a big world map, so, stay tuned for the next release that will occur during July

Cheers !

EDIT : I changed the image with thinner rhumbs as suggested by many of you, thanks for that.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 07-26-2019 at 07:41 AM.

I especially love the X marking the position of the Wandering Isle. You could make a profitable business in selling updated versions of the map every day!

It's another great map, Thom. I find the lines in the ocean (the name escapes me right now. Is it rhumb lines?) a little bit too strong for my liking, but if you made this with traditional media than there isn't much that can be done about that, really. If you made it digitally, perhaps the opacity could be dropped a bit. Overall, a great map and I'm looking forward to seeing the next ones in this series

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Excellent Thomas!!

Very fine map, as per usual ! I like the layout of the lands.
    I partly agree with Wingshaw about the sea lines. I like the main ones crossing where the compass is, but maybe the secondary ones could have a lower opacity.

Love that dark contrast created by the mountains and forests; really nice map as always!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very nice, but why is the Shimmering Abyss grey, when the rest of the text is black? Looks a little out of place is all.

Splendid piece Thomas. I do agree with Wingshaw about the lines emanating from the compass though, they are a tad distracting. However that's a minor nitpick and an easy one to fix. Overall I really like the piece. You've done a good job of illustrating the different topographical features in this map to distinguish one from another.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

A beautiful map, very clear, well drawn! I am looking forward to seeing the different parts mapped in more detail!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
    I especially love the X marking the position of the Wandering Isle. You could make a profitable business in selling updated versions of the map every day!
    Thanks Jerron, that'd be a nice in-world scam

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    It's another great map, Thom. I find the lines in the ocean (the name escapes me right now. Is it rhumb lines?) a little bit too strong for my liking, but if you made this with traditional media than there isn't much that can be done about that, really. If you made it digitally, perhaps the opacity could be dropped a bit. Overall, a great map and I'm looking forward to seeing the next ones in this series

Wingshaw
    Thanks a lot George ! You're right about the rhumbs, I've redone the rhumb grid with slightly thinner lines (1 px less for each seems to be enough) and will update the image (it'll help on the whole set, thanks). The series is completed and will be posted in another thread with a surprise

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Excellent Thomas!!
    Thanks Bogie

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very fine map, as per usual ! I like the layout of the lands.
    I partly agree with Wingshaw about the sea lines. I like the main ones crossing where the compass is, but maybe the secondary ones could have a lower opacity.
    Merci Julien I've fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by OUdaveguy98 View Post
    Love that dark contrast created by the mountains and forests; really nice map as always!
    Thanks OUdaveguy98 !

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Very nice, but why is the Shimmering Abyss grey, when the rest of the text is black? Looks a little out of place is all.
    Thanks Rob ! I usually use grey labels for sea bodies to have a little variation. On sepia maps I just set the fusion mode to overlay.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Splendid piece Thomas. I do agree with Wingshaw about the lines emanating from the compass though, they are a tad distracting. However that's a minor nitpick and an easy one to fix. Overall I really like the piece. You've done a good job of illustrating the different topographical features in this map to distinguish one from another.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks a lot Tad ! I've fixed the rhumbs and wait for the continental maps, I think I've outdone myself on the terrains

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    A beautiful map, very clear, well drawn! I am looking forward to seeing the different parts mapped in more detail!
    Merci beaucoup Joël They'll be coming soon !