Thread: Wilbur corrupted my MDR file

Help Wilbur corrupted my MDR file

Well, here I am again... At this point, I could consider this subforum my home.

The problem is simple: I was working on a surface with Wilbur, I saved it as an mdr file. I could open it. Then I did other things. When I was exiting the program, it prompted me to save it again. Well, why not? I did it. Then, when I wanted to open it again:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	116156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbb.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	116157

It seems that the file is corrupted, I don't know why. In a desperate attempt to save it, I ran Recuva (a program to recover deleted-overwritten files) to no avail. However, it is curious that Recuva can give me a preview of the file, which means it isn't corrupted at all!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	preview.PNG 
Views:	33 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	116158

I know that I can't open it on Wilbur. But is there any other software I can use to open mdr files and export it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ah, well: it seems it's quite easy. Recuva lets me copy and paste the preview and it's the same resolution! For anyone that might stumble upon the same problem. Sorry for bothering you all, I can't delete the post!

As a matter of habit, I never save from the prompt, I always intentionally save from the file menu
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Blog Entries

We have an endless series of posts about losing files and not having stuff backed up. Its important to have multiple copies of your work esp when you have invested time and effort into a file.

Its a good idea to save your file as Filename_001.mdr then next time save it as Filename_002.mdr and so on. Keep all of the files and maybe delete the ones 10 numbers back from the latest but better still to keep them all until you have completed your project and have it all finished to your complete satisfaction. And now and again back stuff up to an external USB hard drive. On windows you have xcopy still hanging about and it will do that backup for free. Hard drive space is so cheap these days and even if that is too much then get an SD Card which you can get about 64Gb now for about two beers.