Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minol (3rd edition)

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map Minol (3rd edition)

Hello ! It's been a long time since I've posted any maps....
    I got a little carried away by a 3D project. But it didn't keep me too far from the "core activity": I undertook to redraw a map for the third time: it's the village of Minol.
    This is the starting village for a story my wife wrote, and as she herself started to rewrite the whole story, she asked me to add some elements to the original map.... I ended up redesigning everything, drawing a lot from J. Edwards' maps, for the general appearance of the houses.
    I used Procreate on an Ipad to most of the job, except shadows and lights, border and title which were done on Photoshop

So here is the brand new version of the map of this village:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Minol.jpg 
Views:	1031 
Size:	7.97 MB 
ID:	116235

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

The first version was made 5 or 4 years ago with Campaign Cartographer :

Name:	MINOL old guild light.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	116236

These were my very first steps into the world of cartography

The second version was drawn not too long after I discovered the guild. I had tried to follow a tutorial, but the result was not very successful... It was made with Photoshope... and I'm not too proud of the result : too heavy, too many elements and the colors are just way too odd...

Name:	Minol guild light.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	116237

This map is part of Nossym's world, which I started to map in small pieces: I have already done several regions, several cities and villages, as a map or as an illustration. I will be working on a world map in a while, but I feel like it's a big challenge and I'm not sure I'm ready.

The whole story follows the life of a little girl, whose father runs the sawmill northwest of the village. A little girl who comes into conflict with the village magician (the walled houses in the centre of the village) because of the girl's dragon.
    In the latest version of the story, there is the addition of a mill and a very large century-old tree to the south and a sheepfold to the east.

I love how this has evolved, Jo! The newest version is a very charming map, the layout and buildings are exceptional, great work!

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Although the third version is really good (love the paths!) the second version is charming

Great map Jo! Really nice, especially the buildings!

This is a very nice version of the map.As Tenia said, the paths are fantastic, and I think the detail in the buildings and pavement are really good. My only nitpick is that the ground beneath the forest could benefit from having more tree litter and not looking as much like 'grassy hills + trees on top'

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

It looks great Joel
    I love seeing how it has progressed over time.

This is a great update. Also I really like the way the flagstone roads turned out.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

It's fun to see the stylistic development of this map over the years. Your skills as a cartographer have improved quite a bit over the years.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'm always glad to see I'm not the only one endlessly re-making their maps

Did you post that second version on the Guild when you made it? I have a vague memory of having seen it before...

In any case, it's cool seeing these versions back-to-back - you've come such a long way as an artist, and I've enjoyed seeing you evolve over these years (I think we started actively posting around the same time). The newest version looks great, I love the layout of this town and the road pattern in particular looks great. If I had to nitpick on something, it's how some of the trees seem to have lineart much thicker than most of the buildings, but that's pretty much all I can think of. It's a great map. Can't wait to see the next version
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast