Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minol (3rd edition)

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I love how this has evolved, Jo! The newest version is a very charming map, the layout and buildings are exceptional, great work!
    Thank you very much! I was very inspired by J. Edward's layout for the buildings. It's true that with more detail, they have more character

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Although the third version is really good (love the paths!) the second version is charming
    Thank you Tenia! These are nice words, but I find that this old version really suffers from youthful flaws....

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great map Jo! Really nice, especially the buildings!
    Thanks a lot ! I'm glad you like it !

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    This is a very nice version of the map.As Tenia said, the paths are fantastic, and I think the detail in the buildings and pavement are really good. My only nitpick is that the ground beneath the forest could benefit from having more tree litter and not looking as much like 'grassy hills + trees on top'

Wingshaw
    You are right about that ! I'll see if I can add some dirt and dead leafs !

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It looks great Joel
    I love seeing how it has progressed over time.
    Thanks J. ! I'm just trying my best to fellow your path !

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    This is a great update. Also I really like the way the flagstone roads turned out.
    Thanks a lot ! It made several tests for that... I'm glad you like it

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    It's fun to see the stylistic development of this map over the years. Your skills as a cartographer have improved quite a bit over the years.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks ! I've also looked at your cards a lot and I'm also trying to get inspired by your style... So thank you to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I'm always glad to see I'm not the only one endlessly re-making their maps

Did you post that second version on the Guild when you made it? I have a vague memory of having seen it before...

In any case, it's cool seeing these versions back-to-back - you've come such a long way as an artist, and I've enjoyed seeing you evolve over these years (I think we started actively posting around the same time). The newest version looks great, I love the layout of this town and the road pattern in particular looks great. If I had to nitpick on something, it's how some of the trees seem to have lineart much thicker than most of the buildings, but that's pretty much all I can think of. It's a great map. Can't wait to see the next version
    Thank you Kellerica!

I agree with you on the lineart of some trees: I think I must have confused the size of the brush between two drawing sessions.
    Re-making maps is an endless problem : as you improve your style, looking at your old maps gets more and more annoying... and after a while, you crack and do everything over again... because, of course, you can't leave it like that, right?

This last version is definitely a success, and it's obvious you really improved your skills .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12