Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June/July '19 Lite Challenge: Accursed Trails

Wip June/July '19 Lite Challenge: Accursed Trails

Hi everyone.

I was trying for a battle map initially, but decided to use it for a regional/area map. I've set up some initial layout that looks like a battle map. (I had a lot of ideas scrambled up in my brain as to what theme to use - spaceship, forest, desert, arctic, dungeon, etc., and was getting confused. I had even worked out different threat zones.)

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	June_July_19_Lite_Challenge-Battle_Map_001.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	391.2 KB 
ID:	116247

Camp sites (circular areas) are located at the four corners of the map. I was thinking to make a dungeon map, but I guess it's shifted towards a wilderness area map that borders the four camp sites.

Let me know what you think.

Hi. This is the most intricate The Sims house floor plan I have ever seen.

Looks like you could turn it into a pretty complicated, maze-like dungeon. I don't really see it as a wilderness map, since it has such clean edges everywhere, but you mentioned you were making it a battle map at first. I guess it depends on how you render it. I'd simplify the layout, unless you know you can render it fast. It depends on your workflow. I was working on a "sketch" of a map recently that took days and is still not finished, just because I'm drawing all the details by hand. I definitely wouldn't recommend such approach for a complex layout like this.

Welcome to the challenge phoenix! Show us what you can do with this layout!

Seems like a cool idea, in the end, the wilderness is just another kind of dungeon in dnd. That's actually an interesting mapping idea map things to dungeons that are normally not considered dungeons.

Wip Updated Map: The Lesser-Known Trails of (Something...)

Hey everyone. Here's an updated version of the map:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	June_July_19_Lite_Challenge-Battle_Map_002.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	116319

I've added the following:
    1. Snow-clad mountain ranges,
    2. Some mixed ground textures,
    3. Roads, and
    4. Mix of green shades for the forest area.

The star-shaped symbols are where three camps each for a nearby settlement are located at the four corners of the map.

My thoughts:
    1. Roads: I'm not so sure about the thickness of the roads. They seem too wide for a map seen from this height. I found it more appealing to have different coloured roads that are away from the forest.
    2. Forest: I've tried too much for the forest to appear as real as possible. However, I'm still in doubt if I can create a better forest area.
    3. Mountain Ranges: These are just a representation to ensure that they're as good as impassable terrain.

Still Pending:
    1. Rivers & Lakes: I'll set up their layout, but I'll keep them for later when the map is almost done.
    2. Locations: A lot of places to set up across the map.
    3. Map Storyline: Will probably put this up as a blog post after the map is complete consisting of a mystery. More details about it later.
    4. Marshes: These are yet to be decided whether to be placed or not.

@Bogie - Thanks for the warm welcome.
    @GodofMoxie - I couldn't disagree more.
    @Kisachik the Wanderer - I could've done something like that. But I've never had much interest in creating houses in The Sims. I delved more into the gameplay. I'll do my best to complete this map. I'm using GIMP. So, it isn't really a hand-drawn sketch. I'm making use of the mouse to draw as much as possible.

Please let me know what you think of the map. I could really use all the feedback.
    Thanks.
    Phoenix81.

Nice update. I agree that the roads look a little to wide, but not excessively so.

The update is here. I don't know what else to add in this map.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	June_July_19_Lite_Challenge-Battle_Map_003.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	541.8 KB 
ID:	116443

Newly added:
    1. Locations - I've added 63 locations in the map. (This number, however, may change if required.) I've intentionally labelled them with numbers. (I have a few things in mind with different themes that were mentioned before.)
    2. Labels - Added a few labels on the map for reference purposes. Will try to add more if possible.
    3. Marshes - I thought the marshes would bring more challenge at the locations placed in them. (More diverse terrain feature.)
    4. Secret Locations - Some of the locations are hidden, and do not have a path leading to them. (This is intentional.)

I don't think there'll be a need for rivers and lakes in this map. But of course, it would make the map even more appealing. So, it's still undecided with regard to the rivers and lakes. I'll also be keeping the roads as they are. I believe I've learnt something out of it.

As you all know, I posted the isometric dungeon map. The dungeon map is the key element that restricts travelling from place to place within an area. If seen as only a normal map, it appears that you could cut short through the dense forest and marshy areas. However, there is a reason for the isometric dungeon map layout to have been created. And that will be explained in the map's blog post.

This map seems complete. But I still feel there's a lot missing.
    (Psst. There's at least one more map that's actually hidden.) -> More explanation in a future blog post for the map.

Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks,
    Phoenix81.

Really like it, it's much the way I thought you would take it in the sense of how a dungeon is explored in semi-fixed paths.

Very interesting!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Nice work, I like the peek into the structure you started with, definitely some good thinking going on behind it. It makes me want to play some kind of boardgame on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast