Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ganador thread - really digging down on details

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Good question. I originally planned to do the entire city, but this is just waaaaay too much work. So for now it's just gonna be this one island. I might come back and do other islands in bits and pieces between commissions and other personal projects, but definitely not one after the other, seeing how I don't intend to go nuts completely. Drawing a crapton of houses is great fun, but multiple craptons in rapid succession: not so much. I'm already looking forward to colouring this one!

And also, I just accepted a commission, so this one is now on hiatus for a bit (but no worries, I will absolutely come back to it, and maybe even continue work on it if I can sneak it in!)
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 07-03-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I admire your diligence, Caenwyr, this is looking great so far! Fabricating so many buildings over and over can be ultra tedious, I feel your pain. I hope you come back to this soon, I'd love to see it with color!

Cheers!

IR

Alright, back to this map! I had a bit of free time in my latest commission (waiting for input from the client), so I decided to continue work on this one for a bit. The last update I made was from waaay back in March, so I was afraid I wouldn't be able to emulate the style I had going on back then, but I think I pulled it off. Also, it's not that hard, just fat lines for the outline and thin lines for the roof edges, which might explain things .

I finally managed to work in the Widow's Palace. It's not as grandiose as the bigger structure to the SW of it, but it's supposed to be more elegant, and a good bit more lavish too. Also, it has its own garden, two piers for pleasure boats to dock and a smaller guest house with a huge (yoooodge!) terrace extending over the turquoise waters of the bay. That open space south of the Widow's Palace still needs to be filled in of course. I'm thinking of doing a bustling market surrounding a overly ornate weigh house (like the Waag in Amsterdam), but that's not decided just yet. Keep an eye out for the next update, is all I can say!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (6).jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	118617

All in all, I'm glad I got to spend another hour on this piece. It's been nagging at the back of my mind for over half a year now. I've worked on several pieces in the meantime, each of which I loved (or love) doing, but the fact that this one still isn't finished kept bugging me. I'm sure client will come through any moment now, but it was a pleasure continuing on it, even for a bit!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Another monstrously beautiful city

Glad to see this map is still in production. I can't wait to see it finished

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Hey thanks guys! Happy to hear you're liking it!

The last few hours I had a bit of time again, so I went ahead and did some work on this map. I'm curious if you'll see the difference with my previous upload!

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (7).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	118653
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    I'm curious if you'll see the difference with my previous upload!
    Ummm... Is this a test?

I forgot to study for it.
    ...but a wild guess is better than leaving the answer blank...

Let's see..

<chews on pencil and frowns in concentration>

Hey, you added colors!
    Yah, and shadows, too.

This is looking good.
    Last edited by bkh1914; 11-07-2019 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Hey thanks guys! Happy to hear you're liking it!

The last few hours I had a bit of time again, so I went ahead and did some work on this map. I'm curious if you'll see the difference with my previous upload!

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (7).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	118653
    I've always been impressed by the layout and skills of your former map but did not really like the embossed aesthetic. The drawn version is marvelous ! Do you plan on adding texture or color variation to the plain colors ?

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    Hey, you added colors!
    Yah, and shadows, too.
    *ding ding ding* we have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I've always been impressed by the layout and skills of your former map but did not really like the embossed aesthetic. The drawn version is marvelous ! Do you plan on adding texture or color variation to the plain colors ?
    Oh wow Thomas, thanks! I do intend to work in some texture to the roofs, but after many experiments I still haven't come up with something that looks like actual roof tiles/shingles/copper plating. Will have to experiment a little further I suppose!

Okay, here's another update:

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (9).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	118704

My commission client just sent me a bunch of new input for that other map I'm making (which I'll post in due time!), so this map will go dormant again for a bit. But fear not, I will come back to it!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast