Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ganador thread - really digging down on details

This is looking really great, Caenwyr! I'm curious about your method with the colouring: when i'm colouring a city map, I start with one element (eg roofs or trees) and do all of them for the map, before doing the next. I haven't seen this approach of colouring all elements from one area and moving to the next area before. How do you get it to look so seamless?

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    This is looking really great, Caenwyr! I'm curious about your method with the colouring: when i'm colouring a city map, I start with one element (eg roofs or trees) and do all of them for the map, before doing the next. I haven't seen this approach of colouring all elements from one area and moving to the next area before. How do you get it to look so seamless?

Wingshaw
    The trick is, cheat! I have tons of half-finished colouring and shading in that northern part, but at this stage it's a complete mess, so I decided not to show it! Basically I put all my shading and colouring layers in a big group, and masked out everything that wasn't good enough yet to show
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

looking forward to see a new update ! it's a huge work, but it's paying off : the color extract is very impressive and eye catching (almost like the original huge map !)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Absolutely Marvelous work! Beautiful buildings and I love the water. I'm working on city maps too, trying to improve my skills and I look at a piece of art like this and it pushes me harder to do more. Great coloring too, I'm curious, are the Blue and Teal buildings going to be places that you mark on the legend of the map? Those special places that the PC's want to tour? Some texturing to the buildings would probably bring it out more, but honestly I like the look of it now. Clean and Good Looking!

Del

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    looking forward to see a new update ! it's a huge work, but it's paying off : the color extract is very impressive and eye catching (almost like the original huge map !)
    Thanks Jo! That's what I'm aiming for too in this map! I want it to look vibrant and eye-catching just like you said. Here's hoping I'll succeed in keeping that level all throughout the map!

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    I'm curious, are the Blue and Teal buildings going to be places that you mark on the legend of the map? Those special places that the PC's want to tour? Some texturing to the buildings would probably bring it out more, but honestly I like the look of it now. Clean and Good Looking!
    Thanks! The different coloured roofs are just different roofing materials. I'm experimenting a bit with what's possible. The teal is just oxidized bronze as you'll find on many a church and temple all over the world, while the blue is supposed to be enameled roof tiles. The orange is terracotta of course. Not sure how many roofs I'll do in each of those styles. For the moment I'm keeping it mostly terracotta with a "special" roof here and there to spice things up a bit and I kinda like that principle.

By the way, here's another update!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (10).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	5.07 MB 
ID:	119033
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    By the way, here's another update!

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (10).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	5.07 MB 
ID:	119033
    About time!

Looking really good, I like how the water in particular is coming along.

Alright, here's yet another incremental update!

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (12).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	5.43 MB 
ID:	119153

I've not just continued colouring and shading new buildings, I've also gone back and added a "light" layer to all of the existing buildings, so the roof slopes perpendicular to the sun now appear a bit lighter. That should help in conveying the 3D-ishness of this image!
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 12-02-2019 at 04:37 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Alright, and here's the completed shading and colouring!

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (13).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	7.04 MB 
ID:	119178

I had a bit of time on my hands yesterday...

I haven't worked in a texture to the roofs yet, but I'm afraid that's going to be terribly tedious, so I might just sulk and refuse to do it . Also, There's going to be a legend on the right as you will have guessed by now, and I'm also thinking of adding a sideways view of the island, as seen from the prow of an approaching ship. Not sure how that is going to pan out though!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Looking really great. Speaking of ships, are you going to put some of them or some boats in the harbour? The place looks a little on the empty side right now.

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Looking really great. Speaking of ships, are you going to put some of them or some boats in the harbour? The place looks a little on the empty side right now.
    Oh yes, definitely! There's gonna be tons of 'em. I have several ship plans lying around already so these are going to be put to good use. There's supposed to be a regular ferry service between this island, the others and the mainland, and then every respectable home on the waterfront will have at least one boat of its own, some more elaborate than others.

Really big ships will only be found in the deeper parts of course, and I might even draw the floating Pilots' Office where merchant ships can dock to hire a pilote. Trying to navigate the treacherous shallows without a pilote is not only suicide, it's also illegal in Ganador. In reality that raft would be a fair bit further south, but I might incorporate it here just to show it exists
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast