Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ganador thread - really digging down on details

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default The Ganador thread - really digging down on details

Hey all!

Some of you might still remember my Ganador map from 2017 (don't worry if you don't, I almost forgot about it myself ). I recently saw some awesome high detail city maps pop up, complete with gables and chimneys and cobbled streets etc, and decided to try my hand at one too. But instead of inventing a city from scratch, I went back to an old city map of mine (Ganador!) and zoomed the crap out of it.

Ganador is made up of a bunch of islands. The image below shows the northwestern island, one of the smaller ones with a nice irregular shape. This morning I started drawing outlines of houses on top of it. It's a slow process, but I kinda like the mindless nature of it. I can listen to podcasts and just let my stylus wander over the screen!

Long live podcasts by the way - they have saved me from many a dull and boring day! On a sidenote: any of you guys a fan of podcasts? And if so, which ones?

This is the zoomed-in version of the original map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (1a).jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	116252

And here's what I have at this point:

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (1b).jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	524.7 KB 
ID:	116253
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

That is going to be spectacular when you've finished it! It's off to a really great start already.

If I may offer a small tip: I think there's a chance that some of your buildings will look a bit too simplified. You have a lot of buildings that are long rectangles, without much variation or interesting features. And, while you also have plenty of buildings that do have a more unique look, it'd be a pity if the 'plain' buildings detract from the overall realism of the map. At least, this is my opinion. I might be alone in thinking this...

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Thanks for the suggestion Wingshaw, you're absolutely right of course!

Taking account your remark, I continued drawing in more houses with higher variability, and I also did some minor tweaks to the ones that were already there to make things more interesting. I might redo certain sections at a later stage to make things more interesting, but first I want to get all the houses in.

This is my progress as of this morning:

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (2).jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	949.8 KB 
ID:	116264

How's that look?
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Looking really good, Caenwyr! My computer struggles a little bit to show me the detail, but I like what I can see. I remember the original thread, and it looked great. It's super exciting to see a detailed city map with this hand-drawn method.

Wingshaw

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    My computer struggles a little bit to show me the detail, but I like what I can see.
    Thanks for you kind words, Wingshaw! I'm not really sure why your computer is struggling with the image. I know Tapatalk (the mobile phone app for viewing forums) is unable to show large image files properly, but I haven't noticed anything with an ordinary computer browser. If the problem persists, let me know! Maybe my image just isn't sharp enough, and if that's the case I want to catch it as soon as possible.

Alright. In the meantime I managed to get some more work done. You'll notice there's a bunch of new houses slowly creeping northward. Some streets bordering on the sea have gotten safety railings (we wouldn't want any drunken pirates to trip and fall into the drink!), there are some round and bendy buildings to spice things up, and even a sort of small leasure island that can be reached via a bridge. Not sure how docks worked back in the day, so I'm probably gonna give old Venice maps a long, hard look for inspiration. In Venice very few streets actually seem to open up to the water, and it's mostly the backsides of houses that touch the canals... But I like a nice dock scene, so why do it exactly as the old Venetians did, right?

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (3).jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	116288
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Looks like you have set yourself up for a lot of work here! Will enjoy keeping an eye on this one

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    Looks like you have set yourself up for a lot of work here!
    Oh yes, I always do that. "Let's try something entirely new. Okay, but on a small scale." 2 minutes later: *expands size of image file to a bazillion megapixels*

Okay, here's another update! I spent hours on this one, and it barely shows. These landing stages take a crazy amount of time!

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (4).jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	116371
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I think biting off more you can chew is a pretty common theme for everyone on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    I think biting off more you can chew is a pretty common theme for everyone on this site.
    *speaking with mouth full* I gan shew ib. I'm shewim ib ribe mow!

Alright. I got some more work done yesterday, and it looks like I'm closing in on the northern edge of the map: the Widow’s Quarter. WQ (as the cool kids call it) is sort of the administrative district of Sahwyn Island, named after the Widow’s Palace located on the northern tip, a beautiful mansion overlooking the bay surrounded by gardens. It once was the residence of the great Lady Iraena and has a nice little backstory to it, but now it’s mostly used to house guests of high honour (mostly visiting heads of state and stupendously rich merchants), and as a venue for outrageous parties for Ganador’s 1%. The Palace itself isn’t visible yet in the image below, but you can already see the entrance gate, two trees and one of the outbuildings.

Name:	Ganador - Sahwyn Island (5).jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	116400

Backstory to the Widow's Palace:

The origin of Widow’s Palace lies some 200 years ago. The position of Master of the Ganador City Council, the most powerful man in the city and arguably in the known world, was about to be opened up for election, after one of the longest reigns in history. Political factions in the city had started campaigning vigorously, but one man was clearly the most popular candidate. His name was Lord Askild Braen, a young man still, only in his late twenties and just recently married. Despite his age he was a decorated navy officer with many victories to his name, and immensely popular with the poorer masses. He was charismatic, strong, always kind, born rich but giving plenty to charity, and most importantly, his new wife was as charming and beautiful as he was. The masses loved him, but they worshipped Lady Iraena. And she used that fact to his advantage. She addressed the crowds almost as often as he did, from balconies and wagons and platforms, and they came to hear her speak in droves. She only had to whisper her husband’s name to have the crowds chant it with a thousand voices over and over again, and when she raised her voice, it sounded like the silver bells of Kestwyn Tower had started ringing. The Braen Couple were a magnificent force, and they would surely have won… if Lord Askild hadn’t disappeared.

He had left their marital home early one morning to get some work done before they went off campaigning again together, and just never returned home again. In the investigation that followed, his manservant turned out to be the last one that ever saw him, rowing away in the house dinghy to the Parliament on the next island, a quick 5 minute row away, although a misty one that particular morning. No one had ever seen him land on the other island. The investigation showed four possible explanations: he had drowned, been taken away on a strange current and swept off to the open sea, he had been kidnapped by a political opponent to be released after the elections, or he had been murdered. There was no lead, no official suspect, nothing. The waters he would have crossed were dredged, but nothing of interest was found. Police searched the surrounding bay, but all they found was the dinghy, floating upside down several miles from land. Lady Iraena addressed the crowds again, visibly distressed, and promised a massive reward for any news, just any news at all, and a just staggering amount of money if someone returned her husband back to her, but all she got was a storm of fake clues, and silence. Election day came, and the crowds stormed the Parliament to demand being able to vote for the absentee, or for his wife instead, but by that time Lord Braen had officially been declared missing (rendering his candidacy for Master invalid), and his wife, being a woman, was not eligible to such high a rank, and she hadn’t even applied. Riots broke out all over the City’s islands, government buildings were besieged by the masses and some were even set on fire, so enormous was their rage, but eventually they had to accept that their beloved candidate had just… gone.

In the end, another candidate was chosen, and the investigation into Lord Braen’s disappearance was quietly closed. He was never returned to her, even after she promised to give whatever they owned and whatever she could collect from their supporters, and never press charges.

Lady Iraena sold the house in the city centre she had bought with her husband, and pooled all the funds she had, all of it, in the construction of a secluded palace on the northern tip of Ganador’s northernmost island, so she could keep vigil, praying for his return. She became known as the Widow-without-a-Corpse, and spent the rest of her life away from public life. She never took part in any politics again, not even when the position of Master became available for women too (thanks to the tireless work of her husband’s old political allies). The masses of Ganador came to her door, begged and pleaded for her to take up her husband’s role, promising to keep her safe, knowing she would have won the next election with a landslide. But she never applied. She kept waiting for her husband, the Late Lord Braen, and eventually faded into Ganador's rich mythology.
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 09-05-2019 at 05:30 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

This thread is getting better and better. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Widow's Palace, and I love the backstory. If I understand correctly, you're mapping just one of the islands of Ganador, or are you going to do the whole city?

Wingshaw

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast