Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tarblight

Map The Tarblight

So I had zero ideas for the June challenge (apart from a very last minute idea I had a few hours ago but 5 days is a little short notice ) but I did have an idea for the Lite Challenge "Verge of Destruction" so decided to do something to get back to mapping.

At first it was just a map to get back into the swing of things and also test out a more monochromatic style, and some pencil brushes I found, but I did inevitably find myself thinking more and more about the world. The map shows the last bastion of Foryck as it defends itself from the great Mass of Tarblight that creeps ever closer (most of the inspiration for this may have come from watching Princess Mononoke the night before ). I liked the idea of surrounding the map with scraps of notes, the 'watcher' being something I doodled randomly one morning and the rat being something I actually sketched on the bus on the way to Glasgow. I didn't really know what to do for the bottom left page for a while so I blame Larb on discord for suggesting I draw a city map . I've never actually done a city map, let alone trying to somehow match it to the sketchy pencil style I had going on in the rest of it but eventually I found an old 16th century map I could use as inspiration. I did actually make an alternate version too but I think the city maybe fits better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarblight smaller.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	116280
    Last edited by Ifrix; 06-26-2019 at 11:26 AM.

A super cool and unusual artwork, Ifrix ! I'm maybe not super convinced with the 'waves' along the coastline, but it's mostly a matter of taste, so please just ignore me and remember I think your work on the mountains & general shading is amazing ^^

I pretty much concur exactly with what Beee said; awesome linework on the mountains and cities and all of that, but not completely sold on the treatment of the coast. The textures are great, and the lines look pretty great - those must be some nice brushes!

Oh, and I really like the city map too. Very convincing, it has an authentic historical feel if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 06-25-2019 at 04:27 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Yes, this is very nice. Reminds me a little of Princess Mononoke by Hayao Miyazaki. I really like the drawing of the map, commentary and illustrations. I agree with Beee and Kell about the coasts. I think that, on a map that seems so hand-made, they look too digital.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really like the detail of the mountains! They are very successful. The city map and drawings are also beautiful. I'm joining the others for the coast: technically it's very good, but to the eye, it looks a little weird.

Ok, I can definitely see what you mean about the coast - changed it in the original post now

Thanks for the comments - yes it is definitely inspired by Mononoke and general Miyazaki blob-monsters. The original idea for the map was actually similar but with crystals until I rewatched Mononoke and had this idea. These are the pencil brushes I used if anyone is interested.

Much better now, methinks!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

I really like the idea here, and on top you executed this very well.
    Repped! Is there a possibility you do more in this style? I quite like it!
    Also: Love the texture! Any chance you could point us to where you found it?
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Much better now, methinks!
    Yep, big improvement!

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Ooh, very fun piece. Nicely rendered mountains (and water creature). I like how you've inserted the additional images and maps like a travel log. I really dig it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast