Thread: Best way to get a world map

Question Best way to get a world map

I want to create a world map, my goals is to have it be at least somewhat scientifically rigorous in terms of mountains and climate and things. However I already know what I want the (very) rough shape of the continents to be. I also have a much more detailed map of the specifc region the story takes place in that I need to adhere to, which I hand drew. I've attached these below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Erdah.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	116689

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the empire.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	116690

Then from that rough continent shape I'd like to be able to focus on to more narrow parts of the world. This is all to support a novel I've been working on for some time, and I'd like to get details of travel times, cultures (shaped by climates), and other such folderol at least roughly correct. I'd like to have a climate map, rainfall map, river map, mountain map, political map, seperately available if possible.

I already own CC3+ and Fractal Terrains, as well as city designer, but I've found those programs have quite a learning curve.

so I'm generally asking for help which path of software to use (something -> FT -> CC3 seems like the optimal one?) But there are just so many tutorials and guides that I'm feeling kind of lost. Any guidance would be very appreciated.

i don't use FT or CC3, I pretty much just draw everything in Manga Studio/Clip Studio Paint. The reason I favor it over Photoshop is the lower cost of entry (they sold it at Black Friday for like, $20 for the program or something silly like that when we got it) and its ability to save brushes that have color and a background (so I can do filled trees with a black stroke as a brush).

I mean, I personally think the best way to get maps is to hire some of us professionals and do your favorite part (the writing). But any graphic design program will do for map illustration purposes. Like Adobe? Use Adobe. Don't like Adobe? Use Affinity or Photopea.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    i don't use FT or CC3, I pretty much just draw everything in Manga Studio/Clip Studio Paint. The reason I favor it over Photoshop is the lower cost of entry (they sold it at Black Friday for like, $20 for the program or something silly like that when we got it) and its ability to save brushes that have color and a background (so I can do filled trees with a black stroke as a brush).

I mean, I personally think the best way to get maps is to hire some of us professionals and do your favorite part (the writing). But any graphic design program will do for map illustration purposes. Like Adobe? Use Adobe. Don't like Adobe? Use Affinity or Photopea.
    Normally I'd just as soon hire an artist to do it for me, but I basically need something I can iterate on, going back and forth between the larger plot and the map and making changes as I need them.

Also if possible I'd prefer to take advantage of FT's ability to model physical processes like climate and rainfall, since presumably it will do a better job than my simply painting with my mostly ignorant brush.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudanonymous View Post
    Also if possible I'd prefer to take advantage of FT's ability to model physical processes like climate and rainfall, since presumably it will do a better job than my simply painting with my mostly ignorant brush.
    Maybe. I've never used it before and I can usually tell when someone inexperienced is using a program to try cheat a lack of knowledge. But I'd also never want to discourage someone from learning to make their own maps since it's so personally rewarding. It sounds like you have some passion for the idea of world building, which is a huge key to getting a good result (since that passion will hopefully translate to you spending some time really thinking about the development of the world as you learn the programs) so why not fuss around, create a first try in one of those programs you've already bought and see if you grow more comfortable with FT in the trying? Then you can post your WIP here and get some feedback.

They might have large learning hurdles, that's why I just draw everything myself right now! But I guess "being good at drawing" has a big learning hurdle too, lol. No getting around it no matter how you approach it, maps take time...

Photopea is a free in-browser Photoshop knockoff though, so it's about the easiest learning curve ever. No downloading, all of my favorite features right there. I find it an excellent basic program for starting to digital art. If you need a basic digital art program to knock up a sketch it's probably what I'd use now. I also recently downloaded a well loved free program, Wilbur, many people get good results out of it around here.

Good luck!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!