Thread: Bieffekter - My very first map

Default Bieffekter - My very first map

I'm designing a roleplay module and I decided to use my own maps.

There will be two worlds, so this is the first one, a lot smaller than the second one and it's very simplistic.

I would love to recieve feedback in order to improve the second one. The second will be with the exact art style by the way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LP.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	116301

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

This is a really nice start. The texture you used is very fitting, your coastlines is also a good start, add to that the shading you added to it.
    Nice font pick as well. Which begs the question, what font is it? It is a good map font.

Nitpicking, I would say the style between your mountains and the ones in the North is inconsistent. It is quite different and so it is a thing I picked up on immediately.

But, other than that, this is good map. And just to say, my first map like this wasn't as good, I had good variety, but not that much in polish. Especially with the coastlines and the seas, and the texture used. So, keep at it. And good luck with your next one. You can definitely start experimenting with rivers, it does complete a map more. (Just keep in mind rivers rarely split. It merges most often. Also, try some tree brushes to get things started.)

Most importantly, keep having fun with your map making.
    -Omri

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

This looks like a Wonderdraft map to me, unless I'm mistaken.

The colors and textures are something that work very well here. The continent shapes are pretty nice too.

XCali bought up a good point about the mountains, and one I'll second. I will have to disagree with him on the font though, I for one am not sold on the one you used on the country/area names. It's not so much that it's a bad font, but it just doesn't go with the city name labels.

And lastly, I must point out that "Lämmin Talvi" city in there stands out very strangely to a Finn, when you have that one place named in clear Finnish, while none of the others are

In any case, not a bad first map. Keep at it!
    Oh, and welcome to the Guild!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thank you!

It has been a really nice experience to make a map and I really appreciate the feedback. It has indeed Wonderdraft textures with a little touch of PS.

I had the same problem with the mountains, but I have no clue how to make good mountains or how many I put. I have some vague idea about how geology works and why mountains exist, but not nearly an advance knowledge so I can create a realistic map about them. Do you have any advice on that or where could I learn?

About the fonts, I will check them when I come home and share the names. At least I do not regret that choice, I kinda like it, but I certainly will check other options in the future.

I've seen some tutorials and feedbacks here about rivers and I will work on them simultaneously with the mountains, as they're almost always born there.

And finally, some of the cities have names in other languages, as I don't like everything being in english (I'm not a native speaker anyways), so I'm doing that at the time, as I really want some names have a meaning, but not obvious to everyone. Sorry if its too distractive haha!

I really want to thank you for sharing your insights, it is really constructive.

Guild Apprentice S. E. Davidson's Avatar

I agree, your textures and colors are beautiful and overall it's a marvelous map! I really enjoy the fonts you have as well. I just might say that they are all pretty distinct and perhaps reusing the territory or town font for the title might make it feel a little more cohesive. I'd also agree with XCali about the topmost mountain range standing out quite a bit since the style is so different.

Really impressive work!