Thread: The Angorian Empire

Default The Angorian Empire

A map of the Angorian Empire, a powerful nation and part of an original setting I created for D&D 5e.
    Ranging nearly 3000 miles north to south and over 700 miles across at its widest point, the Angorian Empire has stood as a bastion of civilisation for over 400 years.

Filled with a rich lore and expansive history, the Angorian Empire is home to the majority of adventures within my campaign.

Created in Photoshop using a Cintiq 24HD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of Angoria Discord Version.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	5.31 MB 
ID:	116345  

Quite a way to kick things off! This looks pretty nice.

The sheer amount of detail alone is impressive, this must've taken you quite a while to finish... I like the colors and the paper texture you used, and the continent's shape looks pretty cool too. The lineart of the mountains, forests and so on are maybe a tad too faded for my taste. But then again, it might be that with a detail level this high, the whole thing would become a mess if they were more pronounced. Hard to say.
    It also looks like you have a few different styles in here. The mountains around Kordesh, or the Iron Hills, seem very different from the ones in Nazar, for instance. On a map this large, I can understand that the way you draw them has probably evolved a bit as you went along, but it does look a bit conflicting in the final product none the less.

Nitpicking aside, this is easily one of the more impressive first map posts from new members I've seen. A fine work, and I'm sure it will serve you and your players well.

Have some rep, and a most warm welcome to the Guild! I hope you'll stick around and post more of your work.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Hey, thanks a lot. Glad you like it and happy to be here. Yeah getting the right style/lineweight for the mountains/forests etc. was tough at times as it was a balance between making it detailed enough and trying not to make it look too detailed to the point of it all just blending in together and becoming too messy.

The mountains around Kordesh, or the Iron Hills, seem very different from the ones in Nazar, for instance. On a map this large, I can understand that the way you draw them has probably evolved a bit as you went along, but it does look a bit conflicting in the final product none the less.
    Yeah, bang on, haha. It changed a fair bit as I went as I was working on it on and off over quite a bit of time and I was thinking of going back and making them all the same then later on but I thought it'd be interesting just to see how each looks first, experiment a little and then by the time I was nearly finished and had settled on a style I just wanted to get it done and move on rather than keep going back and changing things; call it a day and do it better next time. Might go back at some stage down the line and homogenise the style but for now I'm just moving onto other things.

Thanks again for the kind words, feedback and the enthusiastic welcome.
    All the best!
    Last edited by Clarketography; 06-30-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarketography View Post
    Yeah, bang on, haha. It changed a fair bit as I went as I was working on it on and off over quite a bit of time and I was thinking of going back and making them all the same then later on but I thought it'd be interesting just to see how each looks first, experiment a little and then by the time I was nearly finished and had settled on a style I just wanted to get it done and move on rather than keep going back and changing things; call it a day and do it better next time. Might go back at some stage down the line and homogenise the style but for now I'm just moving onto other things.
    Heh. I think it is always a good call to move on before you go insane, especially on a map this huge. Honestly, it's the only way to ever get anything finished!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Nice. The forests and mountains look great, and I really like the way you've connected all the towns and cities with a system of roads.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh