Thread: Hrorvir - World map

Map Hrorvir - World map

Hello!

My first full digital map with color I think water and some mountains turned out good and ground level and forest need more practice!

I would be glad to hear what guild members think

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	116349

This has a great flow to it! I like the palette you used, and the color differentiation between biomes makes for a most lovingly married variance. My only nit-pick would be that the latter portion of some of the titles are intermittently capitalized, whereas others are fully capitalized. Otherwise you are on a great course here. I just love all of the icons you used, and that some are mysterious, not being labeled.

Cheers!

IR

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    This has a great flow to it! I like the palette you used, and the color differentiation between biomes makes for a most lovingly married variance. My only nit-pick would be that the latter portion of some of the titles are intermittently capitalized, whereas others are fully capitalized. Otherwise you are on a great course here. I just love all of the icons you used, and that some are mysterious, not being labeled.

Cheers!

IR
    Thanks!

Yeah its weird thing with labeling. How i didnt see it lol

Damn, that's pretty nice for a first digital map! I'll have to echo my esteemed colleague Adfor; it really has a great color theme going for it and the brushwork seems generally well done.

You say that the mountains and water turned out well, and I agree with you on that. The ocean has a great texture to it. What kind of tablet do you use, just out of curiosity?

Maybe you are right on the forests needing a bit more practice as well, but in all honesty, I personally find forests extremely hard to make on maps like this every single time. Whenever there is something that bugs me about the landmarks on a hand-drawn map such as this, 90 % of the time it's the forests.

Adfor made a good point on the capitalization of the labels, and I'd maybe add that the labels sit a bit awkwardly on top of the map as they are. I find the letters way too neat and crisp to go with a map like this, as they look so obviously digital in a way that the rest of the map does not. I'd maybe switch to a font with a bit more 'texture' to it (The IM Fell Types are a great collection very neat serif fonts with a lot of character, great mapping typefaces that I know a lot of Guild members use, if you are interested in recommendations), and re-think the color and outer glow on the label. I always prefer that my labels look to be a part of the artwork, rather than something that just sits on top of it, if that makes any sense.

One final point, with a sea like this, I'd maybe have tried making the wave lines - or Sea Squigglies, to use the official Guild term - around the coast white or light blue rather than black. I may be way off base here, and maybe you tried it and it looked horrible, but that's just what I often have found that worked better for my maps. If they are on a separate layer, maybe give it a try if you haven't already. Or don't. Like I said, personal preference, nothing more, so please feel free to ignore this.

In any case, this an awesome map. I wish my first digital attempts had looked halfway this good...
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    Damn, that's pretty nice for a first digital map! I'll have to echo my esteemed colleague Adfor; it really has a great color theme going for it and the brushwork seems generally well done.
    Thank you!

What kind of tablet do you use, just out of curiosity?
    Some cheap Wacom. Wacom One Small i think it's called :)

Maybe you are right on the forests needing a bit more practice as well, but in all honesty, I personally find forests extremely hard to make on maps like this every single time. Whenever there is something that bugs me about the landmarks on a hand-drawn map such as this, 90 % of the time it's the forests.
    Yes, yes, yes! I don't know why, but forests are hardest thing to draw. It just ugh!

Adfor made a good point on the capitalization of the labels, and I'd maybe add that the labels sit a bit awkwardly on top of the map as they are. I find the letters way too neat and crisp to go with a map like this, as they look so obviously digital in a way that the rest of the map does not. I'd maybe switch to a font with a bit more 'texture' to it (The IM Fell Types are a great collection very neat serif fonts with a lot of character, great mapping typefaces that I know a lot of Guild members use, if you are interested in recommendations), and re-think the color and outer glow on the label. I always prefer that my labels look to be a part of the artwork, rather than something that just sits on top of it, if that makes any sense.
    Thank you a lot! It's very helpful advice! I see what you and Adfor talking about. And fonts what you have linked are amazing. I always wanted something like those, but could not find them. Thank you!

One final point, with a sea like this, I'd maybe have tried making the wave lines - or Sea Squigglies, to use the official Guild term - around the coast white or light blue rather than black. I may be way off base here, and maybe you tried it and it looked horrible, but that's just what I often have found that worked better for my maps. If they are on a separate layer, maybe give it a try if you haven't already. Or don't. Like I said, personal preference, nothing more, so please feel free to ignore this.
    I totally agree with you :) i tried, it looked meh. I'm good at line art, atleast i like to think that ;) but colors are hard for me, not enough practice

In any case, this an awesome map. I wish my first digital attempts had looked halfway this good...
    You are too kind! :) Your maps are wonderful btw ;) And thank you for this response. It's very helpful and mean a lot to me

Pretty nice for a first digital map. One thing I'd recommend for future maps is to create higher contrast in the values between the land and the ocean in order to help the image read a little better. Right now the difference in hue is doing all the heavy lifting in demarcating land from sea, but when you desaturate the image, you get this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&W Values.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	404.5 KB 
ID:	116435

If the sea were either lighter or darker than the land (or at least say a lighter colored shallow area surrounding the coastline) I think this would greatly improve how this piece reads. That aside, nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Wonderful first map I must say, Repped! Hope to see more! =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.