Thread: City Map WIP

Default City Map WIP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CityMapPreview.png 
Views:	311 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	116376

Hi, some of you might have seen my battlemaps but I'm trying to branch out and make a city map and would love some feedback on it.

A lot of the style was inspired by the work of Steffen Brand: https://www.artstation.com/steffenbrand

And the topography was inspired by the fictional New Crobuzon as well as Paris, London and Kyoto.

I plan to add some district and landmark names later on but right now i want to get the readability/colours/style sorted.

Thanks for taking a look!
    Check out my Patreon!

Looks really good so far ! The walls & 'towers' are maybe a bit oversized if compared to smaller houses but it can be a whole story by itself to explain why it's that huge
    'love your river a lot too ! It looks really natural

I had something like Carcassonne (the city, not the game) in mind with the walls/towers but you're right they do look really oversized. Thanks for pointing that out.

I feel like rivers are often the most important part of the city so i'm glad i got that right!
    Check out my Patreon!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Well you got the style quite close to what Steffen is doing. My city maps styles is very much different, so I don't exactly know what kind of feedback to give.

Though there are certain things I would like to see. Labels for one. At the very least as one version of it. Two, cleaner lines between the buildings. It is alleyways, so it the lines narrowing and then disappearing between some buildings is somewhat jarring. Though that is a minor point.
    On the river, I feel I would like to see a bit of basic depth maybe, just to get the land to look a bit lifted.

But, again for this style I am bit more uncertain how to go about feedback. I wish you goodluck with the rest, city maps are always a lot of work.
    Cheers,
    Omri

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hey Omri, I just realised I never replied to this, sorry! I appreciate the feedback and I've updated the map with both labels and some river depth, so thanks for those suggestions, I think they've made a big difference to the look of the map.
    Check out my Patreon!

That looks great. You can definitely see Steffan's influence, and that's not a bad thing

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Weeeell, you are pretty close, great work so far! All in all I think you should have a close look on the width of your streets. You have a giant river, along it are some tiny jetties and the streets outside the city are really broad. The relations seem a bit off here.

I'd be remiss, however, if I didn't say I'm incredibly honored to be imitated
    Excited to see where your path leads, don't hesitate to tread outside from what I did if it doesn't work for you here.

Best wishes, Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Hey Steffen, thanks for replying! Did you see the updated version? Here's a link if not: https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...4&d=1564999287

Tried to find my own colour scheme and move away from your more earthy tones, I think it suits better. I plan on doing a 2nd attempt of this map to fix some of the scale issues. I wanted to imitate medieval alleys and narrow wynds but perhaps that doesn't work with the giant river/city walls. And I now can't unsee the size of the roads leading out of the city... Time for another try I think.
    Check out my Patreon!

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

I had not, thank you very much. Interesting way you went! =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Great stuff! I really like how your update of the map looks. Though I agree with the massive roads problem, the color theme and the labels is a real nice improvement and so is the river. All in all, the map is coming along splendidly.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19