Thread: Suggestion on how to improve coastline.

Question Suggestion on how to improve coastline.

I have a map here, made on Illustrator.

https://marcusnjorgen.github.io

And ive since uploaded to my github as an interactive map. Any suggestions on improving the coastline will be appreciated.

The blockouts/big shapes look great. Getting down to the detailed coast it all looks like the same mouse has been chewing on every edge of the land. Coasts are both smoother and more jagged than you have depicted. You might want to add more jagged details and little isles and inlets along the coast and it should help. For instance near Aurea you have that little bit of river cutting off an island, and it immediately makes the coast look more believable. I think the jagged and smooth parts of the coast are best imagined by imagining the land forms were painted down with brush strokes and where the brush stroke ends if its perpendicular to the coast when it lifts off the page you'll have a jagged continuation out into the sea and if the brush stroke is tangential to the coast you get a smooth part.

Get some jaggy bits and some lil islandy bits, and a few smooth bits and really just shake up the organic nature of the coastline. It kinda looks like it's been nibbled on. I like the general big shapes, the lettering's good, the responsive thing you build for it is good. It feels to me like you only have a couple of different coastline shapes in your mind, so what I would do is pull up some interesting coastlines, stare at them for an hour or so, and then revisit it and jazz up some of the sections with some new energy.

My eloquence is failing me today, so Ima just pull up a map.

https://cdn4.vectorstock.com/i/1000x...tor-951143.jpg
    Islandy bits.

I really feel that's what's missing. I found like, one island? Not a lot, anyway.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Ye, basically what Tiana just said. Break it up, more in some places than others, almost every coast has some tiny islands surrounding it when you zoom in close enough. Tiny bays and straits, surround larger isles with smaller ones, that kind of thing. You have a solid continental layout, now liven those coasts up!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.