Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aeash - redoing a DnD map as a present for the DM

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default Aeash - redoing a DnD map as a present for the DM

Hey all,

So I recently took on another commission to create a revamped version of a map used in a long-running DnD campaign, as a present for the dungeon master. The known world is called Aeash, but there's supposed to be unexplored regions beyond the edges of the map as well.

So this is the base map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aeash_1.png 
Views:	211 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	116413

And I've now started reworking it in my own style, based on the suggestions by the client. Here's the first update, showing the coastlines, the horizon (yay, always wanted to do that!), and the first few mountains. Way more to come though!

Name:	Aeash (3).jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	498.0 KB 
ID:	116414
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I love love love what you've done for revamping the Fractured Isles, spectacular work, I can already tell they are going to be blown away by this!

Cheers!

IR

This is already looking really nice! I how you've shown the horizon. The swirling archipelago is really fun as well. Look forward to seeing this develop.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks guys, you're too kind!!

Here's the next update for this map:

Name:	Aeash (4).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	630.2 KB 
ID:	116436
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

And the next update!

Name:	Aeash (5).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	733.0 KB 
ID:	116449
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Aaaaand here's another one for ya guys! You'll notice I worked in the region called Istoria, where most of the action seems to have taken place up till now. In the original Istoria map (shown below), which I actually liked a lot, there was something of a classic river problem: a bunch of rivers connecting other rivers, or otherwise bifurcating where they shouldn't (they never should ever, really, but let's not get into that argument!)

Name:	Istoria_New.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	116460

So I talked with the client and managed to convince them to drop some rivers, and turn some others into a weird hilly delta. But I guess it kinda works. I also cut some connecting rivers up so now each half springs close to where the cut happened, and runs in opposite ways to the other one. That way each "half of a connecting river" is now a proper river in its own right, and a nice 'n' tidy tributary to one of the rivers they used to connect.

Name:	Aeash (6).jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	825.8 KB 
ID:	116459

I might still make some changes to those rivers depending on input from the client, but this is where I am right now!

Any thoughts?
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Name:	giphy.gif 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	116462

The river police are always watching!

The new map is crazy good. I don't think the river issues are as noticeable in your version. That said I'm not quite sure why the client doesn't want you to split it into a couple of river systems. Alternatively I'd suggest to him you could do the mountainous terrain in a basin of water and get something like fjords and islands. The problem is even if it's mountains and a silted up basin it would still develop fairly distinct river systems (even in the Florida Everglades you can see it).

Edit: I don't think the client would lose too much by going with something like:

Name:	possibleRiversplit.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	116463
    Last edited by Falconius; 07-08-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post

Name:	giphy.gif 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	116462

The river police are always watching!
    I know right! I'm a proud RP member myself, but sometimes one has to be lenient, especially to first offenders

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    The new map is crazy good. I don't think the river issues are as noticeable in your version. That said I'm not quite sure why the client doesn't want you to split it into a couple of river systems. Alternatively I'd suggest to him you could do the mountainous terrain in a basin of water and get something like fjords and islands. The problem is even if it's mountains and a silted up basin it would still develop fairly distinct river systems (even in the Florida Everglades you can see it).

Edit: I don't think the client would lose too much by going with something like:

Name:	possibleRiversplit.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	116463
    I had proposed the same thing, but apparently (and who'm I to argue!) the interconnectedness of the rivers was important to the story, so it was not to be fiddled with. I did make some more corrections to the connecting rivers though - now they have their own springs in the mountains instead, which looks nice and plausible!

I also worked in the larger terrain features in the rest of the map, and currently I'm slowly filling in the whitespaces (but that is for another update).

Here's what I've got right now:

Name:	Aeash (7).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	116509
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Ah well, the customer has the final say

Yeah, those changes are very nice. And filling in all those white space makes a big difference. Coming along great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast