Thread: The Sea of Greed

Map The Sea of Greed

Hi Guild,

Back from some time spent hiking in the mountains; hope this meets you all well. See there’s been a lot going on around here, and it pities me to have skipped the current challenge which seems real fun.

As said before, I’ll keep on posting the maps I’ve done so far:

This one is the first of my “true” maps. By this I mean a map not for a board game or any other mean but just being a map. I did it back in February 2019, and started it as an experiment on how to easily draw and detail coastal lines with Photoshop. In the end I got driven by the map and ended being much more, as I also put a lot of effort in finding the technique on drawing the mountain range, and some less effort on the forest and rest of relief.

Anyway, this is a map I’m still proud of and remember with joy.

Basic info:
    Map size: DINA3, 42x30 cm
    Original Res: 300 dpi
    Tools used: Photoshop only¬.
    Hope you like it and any comment will be most appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sea of Greed.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	6.67 MB 
ID:	124596

Some lore for those who’d be interested:

The map depicts the Sea of Greed, a maritime strait use by colonialist powers to reach an come back from the isles of the spices in an alternative reality resembling our early 18th century. The main maritime empire, called “The Imperium”, has established a blockade in its most western part, and laid a permanent siege to the free cities and international trading ports of Samar, Lantalla and Parsaad, using its three military imperial island-forts of Skrol, Motcust an Effreid. With this movement, the Imperium, which traditionally controlled the northern coast of the Sea of Greed, has ensured control of the strait, and been able to expand its domain to the southern shore. There, the Imperium has established a new Protectorate for the Imperial Mining Company, which now controls the rich ore source of the Tortoise Mountains.

This will likely lead to a colonial war with other major powers and maybe the local countries surrounding the Sea of Greed, but by now it’s just some minor factions like the Confederacy of Outlawed Guilds who are fool enough to face the Imperium and try to break the blockade, as smuggling has always been their traditional main source of income. Anyway, the waters of the Sea of Greed are far from safe to sail on: not only are they home to the fearful savage corpse-eaters of Seeth Isle, but are also claimed by the warrior Rowa Tribes from the Chaab desert. They also are known for the many dangerous spots: the Bay of Sinking Holes, the reefs around the Ghiin Isles or the world wide known wonder of the Jellyfish Rocks would be some examples.

I like to think one day I'll have an rpg campaign running there
    Last edited by Bretton; 08-25-2020 at 02:39 PM.