Thread: D&D fantasy Map and more

Map D&D fantasy Map and more

Intro:
    I know little to nothing about art or the costs and time that goes into making thins, however I do want to find someone or multiple someones that I can work with and we can enjoy working with each other. If at any point what I'm asking for seems to demanding I apologize and hope we can find a good compromise, I also hope to fairly compensate anyone who is willing to help with this project. I have been running D&D campaigns for several years now and I like to tie in all my campaigns with each other as one long history of events if possible. Doing this would be much easier if I had one solid map that all the campaigns are run on.

Project Info:
    To start with I want a large world map for all my future D&D campaigns, I would like to be able to make a poster out of this to frame and put on my wall for reference while playing games. I am not positive what exactly I want this to look like and I apologize for the ambiguity I know that can be frustrating but I'm not in any way good at picturing these kinds of things.
    After the world map is made I want to go into more detail of the world itself. Get border lines drawn for nations, name certain places like rivers, mountains, valleys stuff like that.
    Once there are nations in place I want to get maps for each major city and things of that nature.
    As you can tell this could end up being a fairly extensive project that may end up including multiple artists.

Time Constraints
    I don't have any time constraints, I would like the world map as soon as it can be made but I'm sure there will be some back and forth before we get a final product.

Copyright
    I would like to have the copyright for any maps that I pay for as part of this project, I intend to pay for everything but just in case there are some things that the artist may want to retain their own copyright on we can discuss further details on that.
    Also I do sometimes go to conventions and run D&D games in the game rooms with various people. I would happily include any artists names on their works and contact info. I may want to make my own copies of the work and sell them so I would like merchandise copyright, we can maybe work out a commission deal where the artist gets a percentage of sales (this is not highly likely that I will actually sell anything but just in case it does happen I'm willing to share the wealth and fame, haha)

Contact Details
    You can contact me on this thread for now
    As the project goes on we will communicate via email or some other measure>

Payment:
    I honestly have no idea what to put for payment. I'm can use paypal or find some other measure to pay you.
    I think starting at $50 is fair for the world map (but I may be wrong and i'm sorry if that is too little). If it ends up being fantastically detailed and you would like more than that I am very open to discussion and I never mean to insult anyone. I cannot draw and I have respect for those that put their time, talent and love into it.

Other:
    Once again I apologize about how ambiguous I might be at times in my description of things, and I hope that whoever ends up working with me that we can have fun and create something that we all will love.
    Thanks

I think the reason you've had no replies here is that $50 for a continent map, along with rights to sell copies, is pretty low. I think most cartography artists here would be thinking closer to $500.00 for something like that. Especially for something with poster-sized detailing.

Hello Supauch,

I might be able to help you - my portfolio is here: http://www.ryansthomason.com/Mapmaking/ and my price-list is here: http://www.ryansthomason.com/prices/. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask.

Hi there,

I posted a reply earlier, but don't see it anymore. Perhaps I forgot the 'human verification'

Anyway, it sounds like a very nice project and I'm sure we'll work out the right price for both of us once we discuss more of the details of the map you want. On https://fantasymaps.artmoi.me/ you can find some examples of previous maps I've made.

Let me know if you're interested in further going through the details!

Hi Supauch
    You can check my portfolio here: https://xploringmap.wixsite.com/home
    if you see anything that interests you feel free to contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDA View Post
    I think the reason you've had no replies here is that $50 for a continent map, along with rights to sell copies, is pretty low. I think most cartography artists here would be thinking closer to $500.00 for something like that. Especially for something with poster-sized detailing.

And quadruple that if you want full copyrights.

Hey so I have some cheaper options for maps and would love to working with you on pricing and such if you plan on getting a lot of maps done big and small etc I can give discounts as we go to make it easier. Check out some of my work. Here and or email me and we can talk in more detail at ralarismaps@gmail.com.

As for pricing if you want a big world map it usually is between $300 and $800 depending on all the stuff you want done mine are on the low end of that getting it in full color will raise the price a bit. Usually for buying the rights for pieces from artists there are two ways one is "full rights" which is the most expensive and it is up to the artist on price but can be 100% extra cost of the commission or up to 5 times the price for the commission but it varies depending on the project. The thing that commercial projects get is usually a "single use contract" which means you have the copyright for the art for a specific project like a book or a poster that you will be selling. Those usually are the ones used which is usually an additional 50% of the commission price.

The hours it takes to do a big world map is between 15 and 50 depending on detail, size, medium, and level of color umong other things and that would be like asking someone to work a job for on the high end for $1 an hour. For someone to do work like that it should be about 10 to 20 times that. But myself and some other artists I am sure would be willing to work something out with you that could work into your budget.

Just let me know I am happy to talk with you more about the project!

Also if we can work out a price I would be willing to work on helping you make the layout as well just thought I would add that. I am a DM as well so I know how tough it can be sometimes
    Last edited by Ralaris; 07-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Hello Supauch,

I'm interested in your project, I'm quite new on the site but I have been doing maps for commissions for a while. Please take a look at my Instagram where you can check some of my examples and feel free to email me to discuss in further detail.

instagram.com/sergio_colautti/
    sergiocolauttiart@gmail.com

Cheers!