Thread: Battle of Waterloo: June 15th, 11am

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Map Battle of Waterloo: June 15th, 11am

Hey All,

This is the first of three Napoleonic Maps I did for Forbidden Games and my friend/owner Glenn Drover. This map was used as a printed bonus map for "Victory and Glory: Napoleon" the board game, which was featured in Armchair General here: http://armchairgeneral.com/he-who-fe...ame-review.htm

This map, and the others (Ligny and Quatre Bras) represent many hours of research and positioning to give the viewer a good idea of the approximate locations and tactical situation of the battle at a certain point in time. Glenn wanted me to emulate classic maps of the period (such that they were) and thus I had to merge several styles together (most notably taking inspiration from the ACW) to give both a historically appealing as well as understandable look to each. I developed a few brushes to help me speed up the process, since drawing every single mark would have driven me quite insane. Even so, the files were quite massive and the relative simplicity of the look belies their complex nature.

The positioning of the landmarks, troop strengths, commanders, battalions was all very fascinating, and in this case, even inches could matter greatly. I used a great number of old maps, and old books to try and triangulate unit placement, as well as hand written notes/revisions from Glenn himself to correctly place everything.

Comments and Critiques welcome,
    ~Blando
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waterloo FG Blando 175dpi Sample.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	8.56 MB 
ID:	116601  

This is a great map, Jared. As you say, the appearance is simple, but I think it's clear by looking at it that there's a lot of complexity and effort that went into it, from the design of the map, to the research of the events. Great work! Are we going to get to see the other maps you did for this project?

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

The style is indeed quite different from your usual work but very well executed for that Jared. Like Wingshaw mentioned, the map is both simple and attractive. My dad used to play a bunch of war games and this reminds me of a much nicer version of the sort of maps he used to play with.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Excellent map !!! I love the way you achieve the aging of the whole map ! It's a real success : it's old, but still very well understandable !
    I was surprised not to see the famous "english squares", but it might happen later in the battle ?
    Anyway : congratulations !!!

So great to see something that different ! Both aesthetic and informative, who could ask for more ?!

Can't rep you again so soon but a very cool map.

I can't rep you again, but this is awesome, Jared .
    Despite the fact I'm french !

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Thanks for all the love my friends, it means alot to me :-)

I will be posting Ligny today!