Thread: Battle of Waterloo: June 15th, 11am

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Map Battle of Waterloo: June 15th, 11am

Hey All,

This is the first of three Napoleonic Maps I did for Forbidden Games and my friend/owner Glenn Drover. This map was used as a printed bonus map for "Victory and Glory: Napoleon" the board game, which was featured in Armchair General here: http://armchairgeneral.com/he-who-fe...ame-review.htm

This map, and the others (Ligny and Quatre Bras) represent many hours of research and positioning to give the viewer a good idea of the approximate locations and tactical situation of the battle at a certain point in time. Glenn wanted me to emulate classic maps of the period (such that they were) and thus I had to merge several styles together (most notably taking inspiration from the ACW) to give both a historically appealing as well as understandable look to each. I developed a few brushes to help me speed up the process, since drawing every single mark would have driven me quite insane. Even so, the files were quite massive and the relative simplicity of the look belies their complex nature.

The positioning of the landmarks, troop strengths, commanders, battalions was all very fascinating, and in this case, even inches could matter greatly. I used a great number of old maps, and old books to try and triangulate unit placement, as well as hand written notes/revisions from Glenn himself to correctly place everything.

Comments and Critiques welcome,
    ~Blando
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waterloo FG Blando 175dpi Sample.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	8.56 MB 
ID:	116601