Thread: July 2019 Challenge: Domains of the Goddess and Her Sister's Burger Empire

Map July 2019 Challenge: Domains of the Goddess and Her Sister's Burger Empire

Two sisters have very different dominions over the planet Carmen. One is the seemingly immortal goddess of a well-established religion worshiping Fate. The other is a young capitalist with a rapidly expanding burger empire. (Likely in part due to being blessed by Fate.) This map shows all of the major religious sites and their date of establishment, as well as all of the cities containing burger places and their date of establishment. Finally, it includes a handful of other major political locations/cities/points of interest. Obviously the creator of this map is biased in favor of Iydra being Carmenjia/Lady Fate, making this a very specific kind of window into the state of the world.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carmensisterdominionmap.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	5.39 MB 
ID:	116611

Personally, I'm probably done with this as it is. It is exactly what I set out to make. I don't think I want to litter this map with any mountains/trees/etc, it's more a sort of graphic design, a style of map I didn't have in my portfolio and felt like making when the prompt reminded me of the storyline of iydra and Cadani Shovak.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    ... One is the seemingly immortal goddess of a well-established religion worshiping Fate. The other is a young capitalist with a rapidly expanding burger empire. ...
    This may be my favourite backstory for any map on this site XD

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    This may be my favourite backstory for any map on this site XD
    i'm glad you like it. I'm a big fan of how the Shovak family is wired for success, but the siblings personal inclinations lead to... well... a nearly global religion versus a burger empire with an upcoming amusement park. Technically, one of the Shovak brothers also works for Cadani's burger empire, but he's a background dude who's happy to keep it that way while scheming expansions. The map is designed for a grand chunk of writing so if it ever goes anywhere readable I'll loop you in. ^_^

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

I've made one tiny change, to add a missing location.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carmensisterdominionmap.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	5.40 MB 
ID:	116619

Does the burger goddess employ a small army of burger agents to sabotage the competition though? How much corporate intrigue goes on in this divinely guided fast food industry?
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Does the burger goddess employ a small army of burger agents to sabotage the competition though? How much corporate intrigue goes on in this divinely guided fast food industry?
    An excellent question. I'll let Cadani know she's become the burger goddess, as a dominantly non-magic user in a very magic world she uses, like... 99% corporate intrigue and maybe 1% magic for her rapid success. When she began franchising, there weren't really "fast food chains" and certainly not "burger chains" as the region where she began is an area where a vegetarian religion (not Fate's religion) is followed. Her brothers quietly observe progress, one of whom is a mechanical whiz helping her expansion in non-sabotaguing ways and the other "takes care of business" in the background when other people are getting in the way of their expansion and then blames anything that happens on their much more ancient and notorious sister (even though he might have just gone ahead and arranged for a car accident to ensure someone else's restaurant falls under).

Iydra would just handle things by making a Fate-style deal, as indicated in the middle section she's known for agreeing to claim your soul post-death for extreme favors, even though they may fall on the wrong side of the "law" and "Order". It's quite likely that she's done nothing more for Cadani's success than say it's a goddess approved franchise. The rest is due to Cadani's extreme business sense and lack of scruples between her and her brother.

Edit: In case this threw someone off, Cadani is written by someone who isn't me, Iydra is my character, this world comes from a shared writing project which is the only thing I'll do free map artwork for now.
    Last edited by Tiana; 07-20-2019 at 04:23 AM.

Maps amazingly strange, nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by GodofMoxie View Post
    Maps amazingly strange, nice job.
    Thanks!

Ahh you must have found Potatomashir. That's definitely the oddest location IMO but I love it.

It used to be stranger, but I removed a few of the oddest locations in this decade's later redrawing. Still, though, the OG world map included Potatomashir and so I kept it. XD