Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Genabackis - Malazan

Default Genabackis - Malazan

Hi All,

I started a new map. I appreciate all the feedback I got for my Malazan Seven Cities map. So, now I wanted to do a version for the continent of Genabackis.

This time I intended to draw it all in black and white and attempt to make it successful with just linework. I was going for a "patchy" look. I'm not sure if it works or not.

I think I need to work on the terrain textures. Or maybe I should just try to redraw the lines, as I'm not sure how well it all fits together.

I do plan on making a color version.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Josh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genabackis-4c.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	116654

I also should give a shout out to ThomasR for this WIP linework maps he shares.

I like it! It feels like the original map.

I never really liked the form and shape of Genabackis...looks kind of ridiculous to my eyes. Just not very convincingly continent-like, imo. Luckily for me, the stories set there were really convincing Still my favorite fantasy novels to date.

Oh and you have a typo in the thread-title.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Very nice! I like a lot the diversity of the lands. Not so fond of the heavy line on the top of the mountains, though.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabbutler View Post
    I also should give a shout out to ThomasR for this WIP linework maps he shares.
    Thanks Eilathen. I was hoping it looked a little different from the original, but maybe it will with color!

I just really wanted to make the map high-res for fans.

I can't figure out how to update the title of the thread.
    Last edited by joshuabbutler; 07-25-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice! I like a lot the diversity of the lands. Not so fond of the heavy line on the top of the mountains, though.
    Thanks Ilanthar.

I agree about the mountains. It's funny, the lines were thinner, but I merged a couple old mountain layers together on Affinity Photo iPad and it made the lines blurry, so I had to redraw them a second time. But they are too thick and bold. I think it took 4 subway rides to redraw, so maybe I can redraw again a third time Maybe that is what is bothering me about the map.

What did you think of the trees and forests? They are different than the forests of my other map. I made a couple updates.

Name:	genabackis-4e.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	116713

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabbutler View Post
    Thanks Eilathen. I was hoping it looked a little different from the original, but maybe it will with color!

I just really wanted to make the map high-res for fans.

I can't figure out how to update the title of the thread.
    Just in case you misunderstood : I said it feels like the original, not it looks like it. It looks different, it has your own style. And saying it feels like the original was intended as a compliment!
    And it's super cool that you give us fans a high-res map, btw!

As for the thread-title...if you really want to change it, you probably need to get the help of a moderator or administrator. I don't think we normal users can modify a thread-title after posting the thread.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Just in case you misunderstood : I said it feels like the original, not it looks like it. It looks different, it has your own style. And saying it feels like the original was intended as a compliment!

As for the thread-title...if you really want to change it, you probably need to get the help of a moderator or administrator. I don't think we normal users can modify a thread-title after posting the thread.
    Yeah, I can't wait to add some color to it. I made this map, btw: https://malazan.fandom.com/wiki/Seven_Cities

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Hi Ilanthar,

I thinned out the lines for the mountains a little. Lucily only took me 4 subway rides.

What do you think? It looks better to me. Though, on the left side, the lines start to get thick again. Hard to see the full picture on the iPad.

Name:	genabackis-5a.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	940.5 KB 
ID:	116751

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post

Hi Eilathen,

The thing that is bugging me is that there are some plateaus at the top of Genabackis built into the mountains. You can see them on one of the detail maps of Northern Genabackis.

Was this something you noticed?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast