Thread: July/Aug '19 Lite Challenge: Isle of the Sickle Mountains

Default July/Aug '19 Lite Challenge: Isle of the Sickle Mountains

The first map I've officially drawn (besides doodles), first time using a tablet, and first time using some techniques, so this should be interesting. I haven't gotten as far as I've liked, since, as everyone is well aware of, the USA has been hit with a huge heatwave. That being said... with what I've completed I'm happy enough. I decided to try a new "artistic" approach: An object inside an object. I couldn't decide whether to use that one image as a lake since it was so... lake like? But also wanted to use the other as it looked like a weird Alternate reality of the Isles. So I figured... why not both? I hope the moderators or Bogie don't mind, I tried to keep the original shapes as much as possible!

Not perfectly happy with the mountains (still playing with stylus pressure) and I'm just using placeholders for towns and villages. Also fiddling with sizes. Hopefully, I can now pick up the pace since the temperature has died down a bit. (oof!) Can't come up with a name for the Isle so the title is all I have for the moment.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light challenge july-august 2019 WIP.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	116693

Excellent!, cool idea using one of the shapes as a lake inside the other. The truth is that both shapes are actual lakes that I pulled off of Google Maps.

Welcome to the Challenge RedKellBell!

Thanks Bogie! I worked on it some more, but have to pause on it. My display tablet unexpectedly died on me today. Last night it overheated so I put it away to cool off, then decided on going to bed. Now some of the buttons no longer work and the display is dead. I can still use it to draw on like those cheap tablets, but it's extremely difficult for me. I'll have to wait for a replacement before working on it some more, unfortunately. Hopefully, I can finish the challenge!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light challenge july-august 2019.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	755.8 KB 
ID:	117033

FINAL VERSION:

Due to time constraints I had to pull a lot of things out. If anyone decides to read this, here is what I had in mind. The mountains in the middle are called the sickle mountains. It's name didn't get the reputation on its own until a violent civil war which lead to the split between the republic and empire. The area with Nimore, Vlence, and Vlucset are currently no mans land (kind of like how in Skyrim, Whiterun is neutral). I had to come up with random names as I ran out of time, if that's what some are wondering. My handwriting started to get shakey due to stress and heat exhaustion (heatwave again).

I did double and triple check on some copywrite stuff for the heraldry. Looks like they were safe to use, and if there is an author I didn't find one, but I gladly credit them. I also credit Medieval 2 and Warhammer Total war for towns and heraldry inspiration, as well as the horrible callligraphy on my part.

I apologize for the terribly low quality and not getting enough done. Overall though, I'm happy with what I have considering what I had to deal with. Especially since my computer and krita decided to team up and somehow delete saved work. Anyway, hope everyone else had a better time than I did, but hey, I still had fun!
    Last edited by Bogie; 08-15-2019 at 12:59 AM.

Very nice map, the quality is just fine.
    Sorry to hear you had computer and weather related problems, but you got it finished and posted in time! A finished map counts for a lot in these challenges.
    I add the WIP tag for you so your final map would show up in the voting.