Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City of Edriast

Default City of Edriast

Hey there !

I finally found a few minutes to share this small city map I drew a couple of months ago for "Relic", a fantasy novel by Bronwyn Eley.

The project was an occasion to try a different/simpler/less time-consuming style for a city map, with drawing in perspective only the main locations and structural elements instead of all the buildings. The original map for the novel is black/white, but I decided to paint a colored version as well to check the concept and push it a little further. Pretty fun to do, actually ^^
    Some of you saw an earlier version of the colored version a couple of months ago : I hesitated a long time between a red and a grey color scheme, but the grey finally won, as it was the favorite of the author

Usual information :
    - 9,5x6,5 inches,
    - Hand made in Photoshop CC2019 using a Cintiq Pro 16,
    - Commissionned map for Relic by Bronwyn Eley.

"Map of Edriast" - 2019 - All rights reserved
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edriast_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	931.8 KB 
ID:	116696

You can find a few WIP pics on my Instagram and cool pics & derived products on Bronwyn Eley's feed as well.

If ever you're interested, prints are available in my InPrnt gallery ^^
    Last edited by MistyBeee; 07-25-2019 at 04:30 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

"Small city"....
    As usual, splendid work, here !!!
    Of course... there's a castle !!! Every map with a castle, is a good map ! Especially it it's drawn with such a talent !

This is a very nice map, Misty. It's much simpler than you're usual work, but, unsurprisingly, no less elegant because of it

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Nice work, as usual! I like the isometric mixed with the flat.

Small observation: It does feel like the different districts need either more labels or slightly different coloring to differentiate them from one another and keep the map flowing a bit. Right now that nueatral city block color is very commanding. Just my 2 cents of course!

Great map! Well done

Very nice work misty as always! The simple style comes across very nicely and I'm sure it took a lot less time than drawing every building's details.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    "Small city"....
    As usual, splendid work, here !!!
    Of course... there's a castle !!! Every map with a castle, is a good map ! Especially it it's drawn with such a talent !
    Haha, actually, it's not the city which is small, but the map : quite tricky to have a readable city map in a 9x6inches format
    Castles are dear friends now and I'm not afraid with them anymore : I'm glad you love them as much as I do ! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    This is a very nice map, Misty. It's much simpler than you're usual work, but, unsurprisingly, no less elegant because of it

Wingshaw
    Thanks so much, Wingshaw !
    The budget & short deadline were determinent on a lot of topics here, including the simplicity of the style, but it was quite interesting to find new, simple, quick ways to make what's usually more demanding, while keeping something still pleasant

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEpic View Post
    Nice work, as usual! I like the isometric mixed with the flat.

Small observation: It does feel like the different districts need either more labels or slightly different coloring to differentiate them from one another and keep the map flowing a bit. Right now that nueatral city block color is very commanding. Just my 2 cents of course!
    Thanks a lot, Jared ! ^^
    I totally see what you mean regarding the labels & different areas, but "no boundaries" between the different neighborhoods was an express request by the client : they figured on the original sketch, but I was asked to remove them. However, as far as I know, more labels will be added with the upcoming books of the series, so the map should be completed over the time

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    Very nice work misty as always! The simple style comes across very nicely and I'm sure it took a lot less time than drawing every building's details.
    I'm glad you love it, Domino !
    It's actually not comparable in term of time, and for working at the moment on two perspective city maps, I can definitely see the difference. But out of the time spent and the amount of work, I think the two styles tell different stories and serve different purposes : on this map, we needed to highlight a few important buildings needing to be easily identifiable for the book, while a full perspective map bet on the immersion and the accumulation of details. There's something to explore there

Very nice map @MistyBeee. It's Mind blowing... how do you even. I'm convinced it's magic.

Guild Apprentice
    Scunny, North Lincolnshire, United Kingdom

Amazing map! Love the style

Your buildings and castles have a very distinct flair. A more "simple" map (it's never easy to do a city map, anyway), but still a very good one, no doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast