Thread: Where can I find references for maps based on real places

Question Where can I find references for maps based on real places

Hello everyone,

I've been making fantasy maps one way or another, but I've wanted to try my hand at making a board game map. Specifically, a map of Europe in 1939.

Thing is, I'm not a professional cartographer and I therefore need some kind of geographic reference to make a roughly accurate map.

What are some good sources for high-resolution blank maps as well as topo maps?

Thanks for the help.

Here's a few I found on David Rumsey's site:

Should be helpful/fine for references. These might not all be public domain—especially the Rand McNally ones.
    Last edited by KMAlexander; 07-30-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMAlexander View Post
    Here's a few I found on David Rumsey's site:

Should be helpful/fine for references. These might not all be public domain—especially the Rand McNally ones.
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I'm not planning to use these as is however, just as a basis for the general geography.

I guess a follow up question is: what kind of software would I need to generate maps as I need them? If that even exists. The information is out there, surely there's some way of generating a barebones map to use for artistic purposes.

These are going to be very helpful for this project, but what about next time? If you know what I mean.
    Last edited by BrassArt; 07-31-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Adding a question

There's a ton of map-making software out there. But it's all generally focused on making fantasy worlds, not recreating our planet.

I use Adobe products mostly—partly because I've been a designer for 20+ years and that's the software I'm most comfortable with, but it's not the only game in town. Some people prefer Gimp. Others like Affinity's suite. Some use Procreate. Depends on what you want to do.

If you want a generic MAP OF EUROPE, you might consider checking out Wikimedia Commons. There's a lot of open-source SVGs (basically vectors) that are good starting points. A quick search lead me here.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it

You could use Other World Mapper (a lower cost, but not free program), which lets you very easily draw a fractal landmass and save styles for them. The reason I would suggest it for you is because it can import GIS data, which is what you're wondering about for how to quickly get a map of this world. That's right, there are techniques for that. Won't save you all the time you spend styling it after the fact, but a free program that will let you work with just GIS data is Qgis.

Wikipedia is where I would go for generic SVG files to tinker with, you can also pull those into Other World Mapper.

If you mean you're going to be doing more historical projects in other time periods and how do we find things to reference for that? https://www.oldmapsonline.org

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    You could use Other World Mapper (a lower cost, but not free program), which lets you very easily draw a fractal landmass and save styles for them. The reason I would suggest it for you is because it can import GIS data, which is what you're wondering about for how to quickly get a map of this world.
    Thank you!

I can also point you to a tutorial using Other World Mapper to do this, we used it to create a SciFi style board game of earth.

https://www.otherworldmapper.com/blo...aphy-data-shp/

Someone was using that idea to make their board game last year of Roman era Europe.
    https://caesarboardgame.wordpress.com/#jp-carousel-72

Disclaimer: I'm one of the 3 devs behind OWM

- Alejandro