Thread: Should I give the source file to the client?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Glad it all worked out.

I'm not really enthusiastic about handing over layered photoshop versions of my stuff. I have flattened layers to simplify things rather than handed over exact methods by which I created certain looks. If they want to know how to do something just like you did well, to be honest that's a whole extra value they are asking for and that education has a cost. It should definitely cost more. How long did it take you to figure out how to do it?

I should also add that I often paint by hand rather than use layers so it doesn't always matter if I give them a layered version or not. I have not used stock photos or the like so handing over an image I painted by hand can not be re-created using filters or layers or whatever anyway. I guess it ultimately depends on what you are relying on. Is it technique and knowledge of how to use photoshop or your hand drawning skills? Maybe it is both but only you can weigh that.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 08-02-2019 at 03:50 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Like photography, original files are yours. If they are asking for you not to retain the original files, I would ask for a reason, then pretty much say no.