Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I give the source file to the client?

Default Should I give the source file to the client?

Hi All,

I've just been asked by a client if they can have a copy of the source files as well as the finished map, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. So much of cartography is about each artists individual style, and handing over the source file feels like giving somebody else the keys to my style. Am I over-thinking this? Do any of you fine folks have any experience or thoughts on giving the source file to your client?

Blog Entries

Thats usually negotiated up front. It depends if you would consider the client making a series of maps with variations your work or his. I.e. would you be able to use the textures and other parts which make up the map again or not. If you make up a map using a texture then you sell him a copy of the map with copyright to it then he owns the copyright to the map. I am not certain that he would own the copyright to all of the textures which makes up the map. When your selling copyright its the artistic composition of all of the elements. So you cant claim the copyright to the colour blue if you purchase the copyright to a painting which had some blue in it. If on the other hand you used free to use elements and textures to make up the map then you may be less fussed about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I am not certain that he would own the copyright to all of the textures which makes up the map. When your selling copyright its the artistic composition of all of the elements. So you cant claim the copyright to the colour blue if you purchase the copyright to a painting which had some blue in it.
    Exactly. Since most of us likely use free stock images, we can't provide anyone the rights to those images exclusively, only the composition involving said art resources.

The reason someone wants the source file is so they can edit the names in the future. Not so they can reproduce your style to make other maps. You don't want them to be able to do that? Merge as much as you can while leaving the text editable. I only provide an editable file on request, and I charge more to those clients because I set the files up slightly different so they can edit as much as possible in the future. I always merge all of the layers that make up the underlying texture. I usually merge all of the lineart on top into a single lineart layer, making it trickier to take it apart. Then I'll have the compass, the label, the outline/border labeled as modular parts, and as merged as possible into single pieces. The client thus doesn't get the full scope of my art, in part because it would be a confusing mess for them to wade through dozens and dozens of different layers.

For the record, when I work with very professional clients for agencies, unless asked to use my stamps (...one of them loves my OG stamps and always asks for them though D: ) I just draw original artwork and create a custom texture which will not be reused. It's not that someone COULDN'T recreate that texture, since all my textures are based on stock texture resources, but they are never just "one texture on the bottom which I drew on top", I integrate multiple textures to create something unique and new that feels to me like it evokes the client's writing. And I only use that specific design for them. If someone asks for something similar, I will base it on the color scheme, layout, and font concept but select a different texture so that at its very underlay, it feels distinct.

I took a look at one of your maps, Paper Griffin, and I feel quite confident in saying that the selling point of your style is not the texture you selected underneath your hand-drawn lineart. A client will hire you for the energy of your lines and vision of the world, not your textures and fonts. I can TELL when someone who doesn't have passion or skill is using the tools of a professional. Like putting lipstick on a pig, Inkscape maps might be made from competent and attractive pieces but it is the trained eye of a passionate cartographer that can take pieces and organize them attractively.

For the few few years of my map making whenever someone asked, I would provide for them a free download containing all of my current free texture stock resources, my font collection, and all of the brushes I had drawn. Today, I offer a page on my website containing links to every single free map resource I can find. I do this because I don't think Joe Blow the skilled writer is as good as I am at creating a unique and evocative result and will thus be either inspired to become a better artist or inspired to hire me to get the result they use. I feel this way because I've seen many of the results that came from people using my resource pack. It's the work of amateurs, whom I'm very proud of for trying, who might come here and try to get better, but maybe they won't.

Use Firefox send if you don't have Dropbox space. Charge people more if they want the Photoshop file. If you want it from me I'll add 100 to the quote, easy.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

It is always something that must be stated in the beginning, and must be negotiated.
    I do not share layered files, unless there is a clear reason that we come to agreement on.
    Fonts are licensed, so can't be shared. That's one reason.
    Red makes some good points.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Fonts are licensed, so can't be shared.
    Some fonts are licensed and shouldn't be shared; they definitely can be pirated (I've never had a font with a license key to activate anyway, so I imagine this would be very easy. The vast amount of free font resources ensures this probably isn't a problem.

I always direct my client to where the font can be downloaded for free online requested file to avoid repercussions. For the most part I use freeware fonts from dafont.com and similar such sites, and if I'm going to be sharing with my client the final file, I ensure that is the case with the font I've chosen. I do have a couple of purchased font packages that filled in particular font needs, but it's easy enough to Google to find out if the font I'm using is one of those and chose an alternative available for continuity. Some of the fonts I bought are way better, but eh, I've never run into a case where I needed a comprehensive fancy font with European accent characters and the client also wanted the file.

Also almost half the time I end up hand lettering in part, so then my client's just SOL with making any changes without me. Heh.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Thanks for the replies folks.

The client wasn't being pushy, and as the bulk of the work wasn't in PS they changed their mind anyway. It was more a case of something I hadn't encountered or considered before, and wondered how others dealt with it. I will be very careful how I phrase quotes and contracts from here on out

Glad it all worked out.

I'm not really enthusiastic about handing over layered photoshop versions of my stuff. I have flattened layers to simplify things rather than handed over exact methods by which I created certain looks. If they want to know how to do something just like you did well, to be honest that's a whole extra value they are asking for and that education has a cost. It should definitely cost more. How long did it take you to figure out how to do it?

I should also add that I often paint by hand rather than use layers so it doesn't always matter if I give them a layered version or not. I have not used stock photos or the like so handing over an image I painted by hand can not be re-created using filters or layers or whatever anyway. I guess it ultimately depends on what you are relying on. Is it technique and knowledge of how to use photoshop or your hand drawning skills? Maybe it is both but only you can weigh that.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 08-02-2019 at 03:50 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Like photography, original files are yours. If they are asking for you not to retain the original files, I would ask for a reason, then pretty much say no.

I never give the source file to my clients, they only get .PSD, .JPG or .PNG depending on what the client needs - of course if you created your map in Photoshop, a PSD might still be the source file, unless you flatten the file. Some clients want the completed labeled map, and often want an unlabeled player's map version as well. It all depends on your client's workflow. But I never normally give the source file to my clients, besides, it's unlikely that they use the same software that I created the map in - most of my maps are created using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 365, a vector drawing program like Illustrator.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I know I'm late to the party, but I thought I'd through my two cents into the wishing well for anyone who is interested.

The final deliverable is definitely something that should be clearly stated in the scope of work portion of your contract. If the client wants to add to the scope of work at the end of the project, then a new contract should be signed by both parties and it should involve an increase to the final price.

I have never personally had a client request a map with all the layers preserved. But I understand why you would be hesitant to turn something like that over, especially since I only use textures I have created myself. As has been stated before though, a client likely isn't trying to get their hands on your textures so they can use them themselves. More than likely they don't care about the textures themselves...and even if they did end up using them for some reason is it ultimately worth losing sleep over?

If a client wanted my original file with layers preserved and it was clearly stated in the scope of work and their license for usage, then that's fine. As long as they understand that means the price will also go up dramatically.

- Josh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast