Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Valtoria

This is absolutely incredible. The fact that you managed to fit in so many details, without making it look overcrowded or messy, is nothing short of..... Well, it's actually kind of ridiculous, how good you are at balancing details versus negative space. Exceptional, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by UnstableGunEnthusiast View Post
    This is absolutely incredible. The fact that you managed to fit in so many details, without making it look overcrowded or messy, is nothing short of..... Well, it's actually kind of ridiculous, how good you are at balancing details versus negative space. Exceptional, as always.
    Oh, you're gonna make me blush UGE, thanks

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Dang, I missed this one! I guess that's what I get for being gone so long. Awesome, awesome, awesome work. I think my favorite thing is how you incorporated the texture of the 'parchment' into the small rips at the edges. It feels very organic and natural. Amazing as always my dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Dang, I missed this one! I guess that's what I get for being gone so long. Awesome, awesome, awesome work. I think my favorite thing is how you incorporated the texture of the 'parchment' into the small rips at the edges. It feels very organic and natural. Amazing as always my dude.
    Hey Diamond, my apologies for this horrifyingly late response, I'm not really present on the forum these days due to a crazy schedule and two young kids.

Thanks a lot for the praise, coming for you it really makes my day Cheers !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Hi fellow mapmakers !

Today, I'm showing you what I think is my best map to this day. At least it's the one I'm the most proud of.

Back in February, I was commissioned to draw a world map for a fresh DND dungeon master who wanted her world to be brought to life. Luckily for me, her first choice, Deven Rue, was booked so, I jumped on the occasion.

Abigail was a delight to work with and was open to changes to her first draft while having a strong drive on what she wanted. We agreed on a 18 x 36 " black and white map which was something pretty intimidating for me (I had only worked once on something bigger and had huge difficulties to finish it at the time). We agreed on a deadline at the end of July and I was sure I could deliver early. But things never go this smoothly. Working on the map I started another black and white project with pretty detailed continents and this fed my work on Valtoria, making it more complex and more varied. And, the cherry on top of the cake, I started playing with colors.

Kids, never play with colors on a commission, I mean it !

I found it so appealing that I had to propose an upgrade to the client. And I felt like a crack dealer giving a free dose before the long fall. I send a quick mock up at a lower size and I was lucky enough for Abigail to give me the go and it made the map even better !

That's why I'd like to thank her and I'm proud to present this map to you. Here comes Valtoria, as charted by Hattam Reyes, Scrivener of the Ancients (*wink wink*).

Attachment 116777
    © Thomas Rey - 2019 - All rights reserved

Also, if you're interested, you can find the prints here and here and, as I always find it a funny thing to compare the final map and the prompt of the client, here is the draft of the client (minus the informations on the campaign) :

Attachment 116779

You already know I like the map but I'm eager to hear your thoughts and critics on it. There's always time to make it better

Cheers !

Thomas
    Parchment master , Looks great and beautifull.
    Cant rep more unfortunately .

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Parchment master , Looks great and beautifull.
    Cant rep more unfortunately .
    Grazie mille Naima, these parchment are fun and cathartic to draw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123