Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valtoria

Map Valtoria

Hi fellow mapmakers !

Today, I'm showing you what I think is my best map to this day. At least it's the one I'm the most proud of.

Back in February, I was commissioned to draw a world map for a fresh DND dungeon master who wanted her world to be brought to life. Luckily for me, her first choice, Deven Rue, was booked so, I jumped on the occasion.

Abigail was a delight to work with and was open to changes to her first draft while having a strong drive on what she wanted. We agreed on a 18 x 36 " black and white map which was something pretty intimidating for me (I had only worked once on something bigger and had huge difficulties to finish it at the time). We agreed on a deadline at the end of July and I was sure I could deliver early. But things never go this smoothly. Working on the map I started another black and white project with pretty detailed continents and this fed my work on Valtoria, making it more complex and more varied. And, the cherry on top of the cake, I started playing with colors.

Kids, never play with colors on a commission, I mean it !

I found it so appealing that I had to propose an upgrade to the client. And I felt like a crack dealer giving a free dose before the long fall. I send a quick mock up at a lower size and I was lucky enough for Abigail to give me the go and it made the map even better !

That's why I'd like to thank her and I'm proud to present this map to you. Here comes Valtoria, as charted by Hattam Reyes, Scrivener of the Ancients (*wink wink*).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valtoria Labels final post.jpg 
Views:	6473 
Size:	6.70 MB 
ID:	116777
    © Thomas Rey - 2019 - All rights reserved

Also, if you're interested, you can find the prints here and here and, as I always find it a funny thing to compare the final map and the prompt of the client, here is the draft of the client (minus the informations on the campaign) :

Name:	IMG_0673.JPG 
Views:	908 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	116779

You already know I like the map but I'm eager to hear your thoughts and critics on it. There's always time to make it better

Cheers !

Thomas
    Last edited by ThomasR; 07-31-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Hell yeah! Your client has to be super stoked. It's a beautiful map.

Totally agree! That is one fine piece of work. Solid details and pleasing colors. Well done, Thomas. Well done indeed.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Oh wow, what an evolution from the client map to the end map! And i agree with my fellow guilders...a really nice looking map. I love the colors as well. The only thing that kind of feels weird to me is Rustharbour with its weird "river" system. But then again, maybe it's magic or something.

Do you know if this private rpg group are streamers or podcasters? Because this is very much a thing nowadays and lots of streamers/podcasters commission nice maps for their game-worlds.

Anyway, great work on this one!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Huge work ! Congratulations on this marvelous map !!!!
    It's so eye catching !
    It's a very good scale and size to let your style express, and the result is splendid !
    Quick question : how rivers works on Rustharbour island ? I had hard time figure it out
    And another one : will you let us see the map without labels ? I understand the need for it, but the names of the mountains hides most of them...

I think Rustharbour is a bunch of islands where the seas silted up (or other wise got filled in) in between them most of the way, leaving natural channels between the former islands. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Wow, I totally see why you think it's your best! I really like the style and texture. The clouds on the bottom island are great, too, and all these delicious colours.. Wow!

Splendid map, Thomas . In my opinion this one is showing most of the improvements you developed recently to your style. The shading and colors are really unique.
    My only nitpick would be the same than Joël : I would like to see the details under the labels, mainly on those great mountains. But Take this from someone who ends to do non-readable labels...

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Hell yeah! Your client has to be super stoked. It's a beautiful map.
    Yeah, she's pretty satisfied Thanks Falconius !

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Totally agree! That is one fine piece of work. Solid details and pleasing colors. Well done, Thomas. Well done indeed.
    Thanks a lot Greason Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Oh wow, what an evolution from the client map to the end map! And i agree with my fellow guilders...a really nice looking map. I love the colors as well. The only thing that kind of feels weird to me is Rustharbour with its weird "river" system. But then again, maybe it's magic or something.

Do you know if this private rpg group are streamers or podcasters? Because this is very much a thing nowadays and lots of streamers/podcasters commission nice maps for their game-worlds.

Anyway, great work on this one!
    Yeah, the change is often spectacular but that's part of the job to enable this metamorphosis. I'm glad you dig my choices, thanks for that

The strange "rivers" in Yofira are actually canals. The bigger island of the archipelago, Rustharbour is divided by those manmade waterways (it's kind of a pirate nation).

To my knowledge, no stream is planned, the DM is just really passionate about here world and she can be ! She's done a tremendous amount of world-building !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Huge work ! Congratulations on this marvelous map !!!!
    It's so eye catching !
    It's a very good scale and size to let your style express, and the result is splendid !
    Quick question : how rivers works on Rustharbour island ? I had hard time figure it out
    And another one : will you let us see the map without labels ? I understand the need for it, but the names of the mountains hides most of them...
    Merci beaucoup Joël The scale allowed for many tiny mountains if that's what you mean (I work at 400 % zoom on a 227 ppi screen). About the rivers in Yofira, I explained it in the previous answer and for the unlabeled version, tes désirs sont des ordres, mon ami

Name:	Valtoria BG post.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	6.57 MB 
ID:	116799
    © Thomas Rey - 2019 - All rights reserved

And the print is available here

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I think Rustharbour is a bunch of islands where the seas silted up (or other wise got filled in) in between them most of the way, leaving natural channels between the former islands. At least that's what it looks like to me.
    More like a big island with canals dug to divide it but that's the idea. Nice eagle eye

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    Wow, I totally see why you think it's your best! I really like the style and texture. The clouds on the bottom island are great, too, and all these delicious colours.. Wow!
    Thanks a lot MMM The clouds are getting better with each map indeed, thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Splendid map, Thomas . In my opinion this one is showing most of the improvements you developed recently to your style. The shading and colors are really unique.
    My only nitpick would be the same than Joël : I would like to see the details under the labels, mainly on those great mountains. But Take this from someone who ends to do non-readable labels...
    You ninjaed me

Merci beaucoup Julien ! I hoped this improvement would show (and BTW, the "practice maps" are coming right away after I write this).

For the unlabeled map, monsieur est servi I, too, hate to label my maps even if I know it's a necessary evil. For this one, I even proposed the client to go for a numbered key to limit the obscuring by the labels.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 07-31-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast