Thread: Hello masters and mistress cartographers...

Post Hello masters and mistress cartographers...

Hello,

I'm Chris, I'm a french dungeon master that write his own stories. I love create new worlds for my players and draw some maps for the battle, to describe the world or let them explore a town.

I'm reading and admiring your maps for a while now and I think it's time for me to be part of the group even if I'm not as talented as you. I know that I need to exchange with other cartographers to improve.

Here is one of my last map. The Caelys Realm capital : Zéphar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zephar.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	116780
    Last edited by ChrisCB; 07-31-2019 at 12:44 AM.

I prefer Madame Cartographer.

The map's nice. I like the colors, a solid base. I disagree that you have to interact to get better, I think you just have to draw a lot; I hardly interact (this is an anomalous period) and still my art has bettered.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I disagree that you have to interact to get better, I think you just have to draw a lot; I hardly interact (this is an anomalous period) and still my art has bettered.
    Of course you improve with just practice and repetition as well, but getting outside feedback can be extremely useful and others often point out things you have not yourself thought to consider. It may not be absolutely necessary, but it sure as hell helps. And we don't interact on this forum just because we want to get better or build reputation, but because this is a wonderul community and we enjoy chatting about our mutual interests in with like-minded people.

So for my two cents, Chris, please do interact and become a proper part of this Guild rather than just another lurker. We'd love to have you along.
    I also do like that first map a lot! You have a nice sketchy style and the muted colors work well. A nice little piece.
    Welcome to the Guild, and allow me to be the first one to rep you!

Hopefully I'll see you around!
    -Kell
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

That's a great looking map. Welcome to the guild. About participating, you should do it if you enjoy it, because it's fun . If you don't find it fun it'll just be a chore. As for feedback, feedback can definitely help improve your skills, even if you disagree with whatever feedback you are getting you are at least learning how some other people may see your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana
    I prefer Madame Cartographer.
    Ok, so it will be Madame. Even if I think that using Mistress shows more "mastering" than just a simple everyday title .

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    So for my two cents, Chris, please do interact and become a proper part of this Guild rather than just another lurker. We'd love to have you along.
    I also do like that first map a lot! You have a nice sketchy style and the muted colors work well. A nice little piece.
    Welcome to the Guild, and allow me to be the first one to rep you!
    Of course, I won't chat only to improve my cartographer skills. I know me enough to be sure that I will speak about fantasy worlds, role play, or anything else. I'm french, you know, and we have a reputation for debating about anything. And that's not only a rumor, but we do love to debate... a lot. And thank you for the critics about this map. My style is coming from my technic: I draw my sketch with a blue pencil, then use Rotring pen with Chinese ink, scan the map, remove the blue lines, add the old paper texture and add colors with a wet brush in photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius
    bout participating, you should do it if you enjoy it, because it's fun
    I've no doubt I'll enjoy chatting with you all and participate in the challenges. I enjoy drawing maps, and because it's fun, I want to improve my skills. When something is not fun (to my point of view), I usually don't want to improve myself.
    Last edited by ChrisCB; 07-31-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Chris, the reason I have trouble with 'mistress' is due to its modern connotation of being the side woman of an important man who's married to someone else. I have never felt it's a fair modern woman comparison to 'master'. Don't worry, man, I'm teasing you a lil. Don't look at us as masters but as friendsssssesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    And we don't interact on this forum just because we want to get better or build reputation, but because this is a wonderul community and we enjoy chatting about our mutual interests in with like-minded people.
    Hm, from my perspective as a long term low participation member, people seem to be focused on getting reputation and badges/awards here. That may be the reason you participate though, which is an excellent and pure-hearted one. Anyway, it is a wonderful community compared to many others; this is one of the few forums I've maintained a membership and participation on for a decade. I don't mean to discourage Chris from participating but instead to encourage Chris to keep drawing as his primary form of development.

I'm not saying critique isn't potentially a valuable part of improving your skills as an artist, only that someone shouldn't feel obligated to solicit it. If Chris loves the idea of forums and sharing his art and soliciting critique then he should totally do that instead of lurking! But for me, I can't actually think of a single piece of criticism on my maps that has ever helped me more than several hours drawing, reading a generic tutorial, or really getting up close to stare at someone else's work and try pick apart how they did it.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

The best thing about here is everyone is mostly supportive of one another and try to do their best to help one another improve.

I've learned a ton being here over the years. Some of the most important things is just in developing your eye to see things they way a professional does. I remember when I was starting out that I'd get pointers from some of the old timers and I just couldn't see what they were saying at the time but I tried to apply the guidance anyway. Gradually, over time I started to be able to see things right away. I'm still learning but I know what you mean. If you want to get better as fast as possible, it's not a bad idea to jump into the arena and perform.

Welcome aboard.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Salut Chris et bienvenue

Le forum est envahi de français depuis un bail (ils n'arrivent pas à se débarrasser de nous ).

You'll see the community is really friendly and helpful. My advice to better your maps : seek what you love, study it, draw and submit. You'll get plenty of great feedback from really talented people or just experienced ones which is as valuable. Another great thing at the Guild is its Challenges which are not just (friendly, I insist) competitions but real occasion to try new things in a limited time frame and really push your art further. Pour avoir fréquenté des ateliers d'écriture, la contrainte est toujours féconde et ça vaut aussi pour les cartes.

About your map I love the sketchiness Kell talked about and the muted colors plus limited details make for a great military style. I hope to see more from you

Cheers mate !