Thread: The North and the Silver Vale area (commission)

Map The North and the Silver Vale area (commission)

Hi folks,

My presence here has been erratic these past few month and it's not gonna get better right away but I lurk and see all the amazing maps posted. Anyways, here are two maps I completed a couple of month ago for Geoquester Gaming and their TTRPG "Grim and the Wicked" and I finally have been authorized to show them.

Two simple city maps are on their way, finished but not yet published so I cannot show them right away. Of course, I had loads of fun playing with the axe and describing the same area at closer range forced me to go for a mountain style I wanted to try for a long time so here they are.

For the North, the terrain shading was great to do as it really brings the land to life. On the Silver Vale, I build the terrain elevation differently (for the first time) and really liked doing it that way so you can expect more in that style down the road. The glaciers were a challenge and I'm not sure they're to my liking but I'll get there.

I hope you like them

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The North post.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	5.17 MB 
ID:	114904-------------Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver Vale post.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	114905

© Thomas Rey - 2019 - All rights reserved

Cheers !

These are fabulous Thomas! The linework and colors are great. I like the way you have indicated where the rivers are in the forest without actually drawing the rivers there. The glacier looks really good too, and I dig the cool design of the shield/compass. Excellent work all around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

They're both very beautiful, and the borders are wonderful.

I think I prefer the mountains in the Silver Vale map, but they both have lovely qualities.

Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    These are fabulous Thomas! The linework and colors are great. I like the way you have indicated where the rivers are in the forest without actually drawing the rivers there. The glacier looks really good too, and I dig the cool design of the shield/compass. Excellent work all around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks a lot Tad I cannot take credit for the covered rivers as I stole the idea from Dain's Tanaephis map (he's tremendously talented !) with a little twist for shading. I'm glad you like them glaciers but you're way too kind, I'm sure I can improve them Also, elements like the compass, the shield and the axe are so much fun to lo, I'll make sure to have more in my coming maps. Cheers mate and I'm glad to see you back around here, you were missed

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    They're both very beautiful, and the borders are wonderful.

I think I prefer the mountains in the Silver Vale map, but they both have lovely qualities.

Congratulations
    Oh Sue, you're so kind, thanks I too have a preference for the second mountains. Glad to hear from you again, I'm guessing work keeps you away from the forum but I hope to see more maps from you in the near future

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

What a job! I better understand your time constraints and your comments about the time forests take! The result is splendid! All the elements are very consistent with each other: the lineart, the frames, the compasses, the titles! Nothing that doesn't fit in or is out of context! Congratulations!

I love those Silver Vale mountains (no surprise here)! And I really like how you shade your forests to give them a sense of the topography underneath.

Sorry for the belated answers guys ...

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    What a job! I better understand your time constraints and your comments about the time forests take! The result is splendid! All the elements are very consistent with each other: the lineart, the frames, the compasses, the titles! Nothing that doesn't fit in or is out of context! Congratulations!
    Merci Joël It wasn't easy drawing a map without coastline (which I consider my forte).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I love those Silver Vale mountains (no surprise here)! And I really like how you shade your forests to give them a sense of the topography underneath.
    Merci Julien