Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The continents of Alteria

Map The continents of Alteria

Hi fellows ,

A few weeks ago, I posted this map. The client also asked for an A4 version of each of the five continents. I quickly saw an imbalance in the size of each continent and I convinced him to upgrade one continent to size A3 for better depiction.

A big advantage of this upgrade was that, with minimal size adjustment and no pixellisation, I could get him a huge world map in the process. As it was a shame not to slap a bit of color to that world map (and because I'm a bit of a narcissistic pr**k) so, I played a bit with colors.

- Disclaimer : kids, do not, under any circumstance, play with colors, it is dangerous behavior ... as it gives you more work because no one just "plays with color", you always have to redo some shading and adjust stuff. It might look cool but it's bad for your health. End of the disclaimer-

One thing leading to another, I played with the border too (I won't add a new disclaimer but you catch my drift).

More seriously, having drawn the world map was a bliss as each continent map was drawn pretty quickly (usually no more than 12 hours) and it gave me the opportunity to develop richer styles for biome depictions and have more textured maps which works wonders in black and white (but would require some minor adjustments for a full color map so, win, win). It also was pretty useful as I developed these maps and this one (and another one) together and they fed each other stylistically speaking.

Enough rambling, here comes the big 50 x 75 cm world map :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alteria color post.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	116800

And the five separate continents :

Name:	Itesh post.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	116801---Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dasea post.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	116802---Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amune post.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	738.7 KB 
ID:	116803

Name:	Telea post.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	713.4 KB 
ID:	116804---Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reusul post.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	663.3 KB 
ID:	116805

All the maps are © Thomas Rey - 2019 - All rights reserved

And of you fancy it, the big one is available here

I hope you enjoy those and, as always, any comment or critic (these especially as they make me grow as a mapmaker) are welcome !

Cheers !

Thomas

The maps turned out better than I could have ever imagined (client here)

Thank you so much for working with me these past few months. Hopefully in the future I'll have more ideas to throw your way.

Fantastic art, and a pleasure to work with, for sure.

Blog Entries

Very cool and I think you got a great bit of work there. Well done Thomas

Looks great, going to have to try that way of doing rivers through forests, looks way better than splitting the forest.

I can't rep you again so soon but more great work!

Great work, Thomas ! I bet you have but only very happy clients!
    I like the shading of the forests a lot. The forests of Reusul look more flat than the others, though.

That is a gorgeous set my friend and the coloured map really stands out. Congratz on this commission. If you give 150% to the map where client did not even ask for it, you can see a passion and love in it. it's not only a mere job to be done.

Cant rep now, I will return to it if I won't forget
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Claybourne View Post
    The maps turned out better than I could have ever imagined (client here)

Thank you so much for working with me these past few months. Hopefully in the future I'll have more ideas to throw your way.

Fantastic art, and a pleasure to work with, for sure.
    I'm glad I could give you the world you envisioned And I look forward to the next steps

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Very cool and I think you got a great bit of work there. Well done Thomas
    Thanks a lot Red Once the world was done, redoing the continent was quick enough to make time for improvisation and improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by GodofMoxie View Post
    Looks great, going to have to try that way of doing rivers through forests, looks way better than splitting the forest.
    Thanks GodofMoxie About the rivers, I first saw this style in Dain's map of Tanaephis. You should go and check it out, it's a masterpiece !

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    I can't rep you again so soon but more great work!
    Thanks QED42

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great work, Thomas ! I bet you have but only very happy clients!
    I like the shading of the forests a lot. The forests of Reusul look more flat than the others, though.
    Merci beaucoup Julien I try to keep them happy. On this one I tried something slightly different than my usual shading and, about Reusul, it's mainly a plain continent so, the reliefs of the forests are way less marked than on the other maps (I actually redid the shading to tone it down).

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    That is a gorgeous set my friend and the coloured map really stands out. Congratz on this commission. If you give 150% to the map where client did not even ask for it, you can see a passion and love in it. it's not only a mere job to be done.

Cant rep now, I will return to it if I won't forget
    Thanks Rafal Hopefully, I do not upgrade all of my maps but this one and Valtoria really deserved this little push. Wait for the next map I'll post (where the 300+++ hours of work made my hourly rate sink because I ridiculously misjudged the amount of work needed) before saying I give 150 %. I these cases, one just end up hating oneself for how careless one is. I am one And it is passion indeed, thanks for saying it.

Just brilliant. Especially love the black and white versions of the continents and in doing so fully maybe have fully recognised the warnings about the dangers of colour.
    "It is not down in any map; true places never are."

Herman Melville - Moby Dick

Thomas this is a real gem. With all of the wonderful detail evident in this piece I imagine it must have taken you a considerable amount of time to complete. However the results speak for themselves. The weathering on the parchment is well done. I love how you've represented the flow of rivers through the forests. The differentiation of texture in the various terrain types is very well done as well. So much to like about this piece. One for my inspiration folder.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast