Thread: Creating 18th Century Coastlines for Fantasy Maps

Tutorial Creating 18th Century Coastlines for Fantasy Maps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	samplepatternwavenoise-1.png 
Views:	385 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	116807

I've had quite a few people ask how I do the coastlines for my sample maps. (See the example above.) It's a combo of a pattern, a filter, and some noise. To explain it all, I put together a handy step by step tutorial. Along with the instructions I've also included a free pattern set you can download and use for your own project. Check it out by following the link below.

Creating 18th Century Coastlines for Fantasy Maps

This is my first attempt at a real tutorial. Please let me know what you think.
    Last edited by KMAlexander; 07-31-2019 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Clarification

Nice tutorial, I really liked the fact that you used bold text for some of the key parts, its very helpful

An excellent tutorial, well presented in a fashion that's clear and easy to read. Also due to you putting an ad nice and politely at the bottom, I purchased your book series. The whole thing. As books, not Kindle format. Lucky timing for you, I was planning to buy a book from Amazon today so I just lumped them in LOL anyway they look great, totally up my alley.
    Last edited by Tiana; 07-31-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Thanks, Cédric!

And Tiana, gosh! Thank you so much. I hope you enjoy them!

I hope so too. I consider it more than appropriate compensation for your tutorial creating hard work. You hit several tropes and themes in the sample pages I read that had me going, "yeah I'd read the rest of this book." And the things reviewers were saying had me hyped for it.

My advice? Shoot for the moon, include links to all 3 books from your call to action and assume someone who will read one book might want all of them. =P I had to search for the other two. Someone less diligent might have assumed you'd only produced book one if all they encounter of you is just one of your brush sets with a call to action to buy your ebook. I almost did, but then Amazon didn't give me free shipping and I was like "but it says book ONE" and doubled back and found the other two.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!