Thread: Deheuol

Default Deheuol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deheuolp8.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	116812

Hi everyone, this is Deheuol another continent on the world I've been building out called Aelwydi. The languages I used for the different cultures are on this map are mostly African with a few exceptions. There are a couple of cities with Welsh names that go back to the fallen Elven empire and then the place names related to the Genasi are Cornish.

The continent is dominated by a huge desert caused by the magical corruption leaking out of Carreg ddu which is home to a lich and his undead hordes. Around the coast are the various human kingdoms that are gradually being pushed back by both the expanding desert and the undead armies.

In the South East corner is K'oja'anil which is the jungle region where the lizard races live and are ruled by the parasite king. For this region I have used Mayan as their language.

The corners of the map feature the four lost/broken gates which worked as portals to Kresdaras. Kresdaras is the genasi city which exist in a pocket dimension and was historically a connection between the mundane world and the elemental plane. When the portals were lost/broken many genasi found themselves trapped on Deheuol and now live in the various human kingdoms or wander the land looking for a way home.

To see a few of the steps to make these maps you can find the WIP thread here which covers previous maps on the world too. Basically I started with the outline of Steward island and rotated it as well adding on some bits
    to the land mass, then built up a height map using some real world elements combined with randomly generated clouds similar to Arsheesh's Eriond tutorial here.

Once I had the terrain map I went over to working on the parchment map using one of Mouse's parchment textures you can find on her profile. I used the height map to bump map the parchment as I still can't draw mountains. The sea texture is based on an edited version of this seamless texture from deviant art you can find here.

Nice, I love the names, feels very regionally consistent. The edited texture is nice too.

Funny, I can draw mountains until my arms fall off but I still have never done a bump map.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Nice, I love the names, feels very regionally consistent. The edited texture is nice too.

Funny, I can draw mountains until my arms fall off but I still have never done a bump map.
    I find bump maps pretty easy to follow tutorials on but drawing mountains just never comes out right, maybe it's something to do with drawing with a mouse?

Thanks for the compliments!