Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: July/Aug '19 Lite Challenge : The Barking Dog's Cave

Wip July/Aug '19 Lite Challenge : The Barking Dog's Cave

And here is my first entry for a challenge... The Barking Dog's Cave

I've used only one of the shape and slightly modified it. I've printed it in, sketched the main element with a blue pencil and drawn the borders of the cave with a 0.8mm Rotring. I'm now adding the detail before scanning the map to be able to delete the blue shape and the sketch.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190802.0002.Cartographers Guild Challenge - Jul-Aug 19 - The barking dog's Caves.Christophe CU.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	116826

Welcome to the challenge ChrisCB! Thanks for sharing your process, it's always interesting to see how people create their maps.

Wip

Details are now on the paper. I've used 0.1mm and 0.4mm Rotrings to draw them. Next step : scan the paper and remove the blue color.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	20190802.0001.Cartographers Guild Challenge - Jul-Aug 19 - The barking dog's Caves - 02.Christop.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	116827

Wip

I've scanned the map and remove the blue color. Next step : I will add colors, texture, and a bit of text with photoshop.

Name:	190802.The-Barking-Dog's-Cave-Scan.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	116830

But because it's almost 20:00 here in Paris, you'll have to wait for the final version until tomorrow.

Very cool to see a dungeon map come out of it.

That is so cool. I never would have imagined doing this, and I love the result.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I'm really happy that you like this contribution. Finally, I could not help but work on the map. Here is the final version (I think) with colors, texture and some little things to read

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	190802.The-Barking-Dog's-Cave.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	427.2 KB 
ID:	116835

Hi Chris, this looks good, the cave layout is interesting. I think it would look even better if the map's title and the "do not enter" text were in a similar style of handwriting as the rest, or at least not so straight; it would feel more balanced that way.

I would also remove the barking dog. In a cave, and especially with a lake in it, the barking would echo too much. jk

I assume that it's called the barking dog because that's the sound it makes when something echos in the cave. The only thing I'd do is have the text all be the hand written style, but I love it.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Here is the story behind this map. To be honest, it cames while I was drawing it. The Barking Dog is old smuggler's nickname, always shouting on his fellow friends. He's the one that has sold the map to the adventurer who took notes on the map. "Do Not Enter Here" is supposed to discourage people from entering the cave (it's not working at all).

I agree I should not have used the straight font for the title and the "caution sign."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast