Thread: [WIP] First map ever - Bainbridge Island-Kitsap 2168

Wip [WIP] First map ever - Bainbridge Island-Kitsap 2168

Hello guys!

I am creating post-apocalyptic Roleplay server with friends and though about creating nice map for it. It is based on real area near Seattle - Bainbridge Island-Kitsap area. I am working with photoshop but my "skill" with it, just like my artistic talent, is very low. This is what I've got so far but I stumbled on problem that I can't pass. Since map pictures area more than centaury after the bombs fell (2053-216 I concluded that most of it will be reforested. This is my problem - how to show forests on the map so they don't stick out and look weird.

Right now colors are:
    - slight dark green - forested areas
    - light green - non-ubran non-forested areas
    - very slight grey - ubran areas
    - yellow/brownish - deserted areas
    - darkest grey/brown - scorched area (Bangor-Trident base aka ground zero)

I tried using some tree brushes but since almost entire Island is forested it just looked weird nad totally out of place. My only idea is just sticking to colors and leaving it as it is right now...
    I would love if someone could give me some tips about that or really anything map-related. I plan on adding markers (interesting locations, settlements, towns, bandit camps etc) and zones (radiation, faction borders/influence) but first I must make it look right.

Thanks up front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EI9kHRg - Imgur.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	116831

I like the way the colors blend together. I do think tree brushes would be all wrong for this task. You could grab some satellite tree views and create a forest texture stamp from that, but I actually like the coloration.

I would shrink the parchment (it looks like you stretched it to fit?), use it at a lower resolution and just blend it together with a fuzzy eraser brush to get the full size. The texture looks lower resolution than the lineart you've created for the city. I might add an outline on the coast, not sure about that, I do like the general effect. I think graphic design's going to pull this one together.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Perhaps you can use IGN, (the official french cartographers' guild ). They use simple colors (like green and blue) and specific patterns.

https://www.astuces-pratiques.fr/hig...des-cartes-ign

I know that's in french, but I think you can pick here some ideas.