Thread: July/Aug '19 Lite Challenge: An Alien World

Wip July/Aug '19 Lite Challenge: An Alien World

Hello!

This is my first entry to a mapping challenge (I'm new here).

The second image gave me the feeling of an alien's world super-continent. I wondered what it would look like after millions of years, so I brought it into Other World Mapper and used the fracture tool to break apart areas I thought would drift from tectonic plate movement.

I gave it a sci-fi feeling color theme and I'm thinking I'd like to make it into a game board style map. What do you think before I go any further?

I ended up changing the shape and using our program to modify it, so I don't know if that breaks the rules. Let me know if it does

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	An Alien World.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	6.40 MB 
ID:	116833

Edit: Added shorelines

- Alejandro
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-09-2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added thumbnail scraper tag

Hi OWM. I like the style so far, but I think it would be more interesting if you kept the main shape intact and erased some of it out in between the islands instead. That way you could still recognize the main shape, and, I believe, your creativity could produce a more balanced result than this AI simulation. You could also keep a few smaller parts of the land layer in between the continents for smaller islands, which could add a bit more interest. It may sound more challenging, but usually putting a bit more extra effort into something like that feels more rewarding later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi OWM. I like the style so far, but I think it would be more interesting if you kept the main shape intact and erased some of it out in between the islands instead. That way you could still recognize the main shape, and, I believe, your creativity could produce a more balanced result than this AI simulation. You could also keep a few smaller parts of the land layer in between the continents for smaller islands, which could add a bit more interest. It may sound more challenging, but usually putting a bit more extra effort into something like that feels more rewarding later.
    LOL, no it's not an AI simulation (AI would probably do better than me ;p). I just used vector tools to fracture the original shape where I felt it would have broken apart naturally, but I probably didn't do a good job .

I'll stick to the original shape.

Thank you for the feedback!

Welcome to the challenge OWM. Excellent start!
    The challenge criteria states make a map out of one or both of the shapes provided. When I have run this particular type of challenge in the past I did specify that the shape could only be changed a tiny bit, but I failed to include that line this time so you can do anything with that shape you want to.

Don't forget to use the WIP tag so your map shows up in the Thumbnails.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Don't forget to use the WIP tag so your map shows up in the Thumbnails.
    Just saw this, I had the post as "WIP" how do I tag the actual image? Thank you!

Hey OWM, take a look at the row of icons just above where you type in the comment box. At the right hand side, second from the end, there's an icon that's a hash mark (#) with 'wip' in yellow (it's quite small so maybe a little hard to make out the details).

If you press that button, you'll get this: ### Latest WIP ###

Add that text via the button, then insert your image. This makes sure our image scraper can find your latest map and include it in the challenge thumbnails gallery, which you can see here. Voters use this gallery to check out all the entries when it's time to vote, so you want to make sure your map is there.

EDIT: I've added the tag to your first comment. Your image should show in the thumbnails gallery now.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-09-2019 at 04:59 PM.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Hey OWM, take a look at the row of icons just above where you type in the comment box. At the right hand side, second from the end, there's an icon that's a hash mark (#) with 'wip' in yellow (it's quite small so maybe a little hard to make out the details).

If you press that button, you'll get this: ### Latest WIP ###

Add that text via the button, then insert your image. This makes sure our image scraper can find your latest map and include it in the challenge thumbnails gallery, which you can see here. Voters use this gallery to check out all the entries when it's time to vote, so you want to make sure your map is there.

EDIT: I've added the tag to your first comment. Your image should show in the thumbnails gallery now.
    Thank you!! Should be able to get it next time.

- Alejandro

Nice start. Looking forward to the development