Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand - Physical map in a forced perspective/fantasy style.

Map New Zealand - Physical map in a forced perspective/fantasy style.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSX_20190806_123814.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	116886

It's been a fair while since I've posted here, and that's primarily because I haven't really done anything significant. I had posted a WIP of a map of New Zealand, but I ended up scrapping it completely because of an inking error. Regardless, I started again from scratch, and after somewhat of a hiatus, here we are. I edited it slightly to make it darker, since my camera isn't particularly good, and neither is the lighting or my photography skills..... Which is why the picture is somewhat askew.

I share a love/hate relationship with this piece. On one hand, I'm happy with the cross hatchings on the mountains and parchment, the stippling, and to some extent the calligraphy (technically not calligraphy, just writing I suppose). What I'm not particularly happy with, is the border, and the canoe. The border in particular ****es me off, just because of how uninspired it looks. I wanted to make a Maori inspired border, but of course it didn't look as good as I had imagined it would. The canoe looks a bit wonky, but that's just because I can't draw worth a damn.

I think that's all there is to say on my part. All kinds of criticism is welcomed, be they constructive or otherwise. I'll find a use for them all.

Oh, and the poem is ostensibly called "New Zealand", by J. K. Baxter (what? Did you expect subtlety on my part?).

Um... wow. That is incredible.

The only thing for me is the buckling of the paper, I like the weathering in general, but the water buckling bothers me a little. But I'm also not seeing it live and its probably a whole different experience holding it in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Um... wow. That is incredible.

The only thing for me is the buckling of the paper, I like the weathering in general, but the water buckling bothers me a little. But I'm also not seeing it live and its probably a whole different experience holding it in your hands.
    I think I know what you mean. It's not really because of the liquid though, the creases and folds is because I didn't realize I had kept on an uneven surface, overnight. My bad.
    Unless you were talking about the coffee stain on the left, which is pretty conspicuous, yeah.

Yeah I was talking about the waveyness in the paper. Keeping papers flat is so much harder than one would think. Every time I buy sheets at stores clerks try and roll them up

Oh, oh ! Hey there ! Always glad to see something new from you, and it's better and better every time !!
    Don't be to hard with yourself : borders are a problem for everyone at some point. No doubt you'll find your way

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oh, oh ! Hey there ! Always glad to see something new from you, and it's better and better every time !!
    Don't be to hard with yourself : borders are a problem for everyone at some point. No doubt you'll find your way
    Thank you for your kind words. And yes, borders in general is something I'll be working on. If there's anything in particular that you don't like, or think can be done better(apart from the border xD), I'd love to hear it; I definitely appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by UnstableGunEnthusiast View Post
    Thank you for your kind words. And yes, borders in general is something I'll be working on. If there's anything in particular that you don't like, or think can be done better(apart from the border xD), I'd love to hear it; I definitely appreciate your input.
    The comments I would make would be only for personal taste, not for actual enhancements, especially for the map itself. Except maybe for paper : I think you should use heavier paper, like 200 or 300gsm : you should have less trouble while aging the paper, and a neater result at the end

I think that border is really cool. A simple pattern, but it stands out as unique. I don't think it quite matches the style you used to draw the canoe, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Great piece, as usual!

I'll have to second Beee on that you are really improving a lot with each new map!
    The coasts, mountains and scrolls look great. The border pattern is maybe a tad too strong for my taste, as nothing else in the map really has that thick black lines, but otherwise it's a great piece. I know absolutely nothing about physical paper or aging it, so I'll leave that topic for others smarter than myself.

Great job, nice to see you back!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I think that border is really cool. A simple pattern, but it stands out as unique. I don't think it quite matches the style you used to draw the canoe, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Great piece, as usual!
    Thank you for the kind words, they're much appreciated. I think my biggest problem with the border, is that I had originally planned to make it a lot more inclined towards Maori culture, but it didn't quite work out. Which is essentially why there's this disconnect, between the borders and the style used in the rest of the map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast