Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novel Map Commission - FROM FLAME AND ASH

Default Novel Map Commission - FROM FLAME AND ASH

Hi there folks! I wanted to share this novel map I just finished up for FROM FLAME AND ASH by Carrie Ann Ryan, out this fall. It's a bit of an unconventional world, with regions defined by elements and lots of cool castles. I had trouble coming up with six unique castles, so I ended up printing a bunch of historical castle photos, cutting out all the towers, halls, etc, and scrambling them up, then cobbling new castle shapes out of their parts, for references--so that was a new and fun thing to try! LOL. Anyway, it was a unique project and I had fun with it--especially the elemental border. I do love me some fancy foliage! XD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ryan-Map-FINAL-for-web.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	553.2 KB 
ID:	116910

Holy crap! This is an awesome piece, easily one of the most interesting B&W/grayscale works I've seen in a while. All the landmarks are beautiful, the border is just amazing and the castles came out great -- I can tell you spent a lot of time on them. I love the cliffs on the coasts and the ocean pattern. The rounded banners on the castle labels are a lovely touch.

Absolutely wonderful, straight to my inspiration folder! You just keep getting better and better. I've really loved all of your recent works.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

This is an amazing map! I really love the border and the icons especially but the whole map is a huge success! Very well done!

Absolutely delightful ! It's definitely not an easy concept for a map, but the result is amazing. I'm especially sold with the castles and border, and the map jumps directly in my inspiration folder

Tiny-picky french comment : 'should be "Lumière", not "Lumiére" ^^

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Absolutely delightful ! It's definitely not an easy concept for a map, but the result is amazing. I'm especially sold with the castles and border, and the map jumps directly in my inspiration folder

Tiny-picky french comment : 'should be "Lumière", not "Lumiére" ^^
    Oh yes--you're totally right! I will tweak that. Thank you for the tip, and the really kind comments!

Thanks all; it's always extra nice to get feedback from other cartographers, especially the ones whose work inspires ME daily!

Quote Originally Posted by LizardInk View Post
    Hi there folks! I wanted to share this novel map I just finished up for FROM FLAME AND ASH by Carrie Ann Ryan, out this fall. It's a bit of an unconventional world, with regions defined by elements and lots of cool castles. I had trouble coming up with six unique castles, so I ended up printing a bunch of historical castle photos, cutting out all the towers, halls, etc, and scrambling them up, then cobbling new castle shapes out of their parts, for references--so that was a new and fun thing to try! LOL. Anyway, it was a unique project and I had fun with it--especially the elemental border. I do love me some fancy foliage! XD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ryan-Map-FINAL-for-web.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	553.2 KB 
ID:	116910
    Can't rep but very nice map!

Amazing map, I love it!
    The border is gorgeous, this is definitely going into my inspiration file!
    great work!

Gorgeous map; those castle insets are just superb!

Just saw this over on Insta. What a beautiful piece. I really love the border. What a cool way to capture the different elements of each of the four cities. Very well done indeed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

thanks, all! I appreciate your feedback so much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast