Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** August 2019 Challenge: Fantasy Random Generator, The Next Generation ***

Default *** August 2019 Challenge: Fantasy Random Generator, The Next Generation ***

It's THAT time again. Time for the return of everyone's favourite: the random generator challenge!

This challenge is Diamond's baby, but he's been pretty busy lately, so sadly we'll have to run it without him this time. It's the same rules as before, which I'm going to blatantly copy from an earlier post of his...

What you're going to do is visit this generator: https://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/random/#type=location

Leave the settings just like they are, and generate a list of 10 locations. First results shown don't have to count, since you automatically generate a list just clicking the link.

Now here's the challenge: you can only pick one location from that list, and you can only generate ONE list (besides the one that's made clicking the link). Obviously this is unenforceable, so we'll rely on the spirit of chivalrous competition here to keep everyone honest.

Other than that small requirement, it's all yours. Interpret your selection however you want, map it however you want - the voters, in their wisdom, will decide the winner. You can map as much or as little as you want, but your map must contain AT MINIMUM the prompt you chose. If my topic is "A mysterious bridge in an Elven city", I'd have to map at least the bridge, but could also choose to map the entire city around it. An exception is that if you choose one of the Plane/World selections, you don't have to map the entire thing; you can just do a representative part of it, like a regional map.

As always, the two BIG things to remember are:

1. Title your thread: August 2019 Challenge: < your title would go here >
    2. Always remember to put this tag in front of your work-in-progress pics: ### Latest WIP ###
    Number two is especially important - if the image scraper can't find your map because you didn't include that tag, no one will be able to see it when voting time comes around.

This contest will end around Sat 31st Aug, UK time (may be morning of Sun 1st Sept - I'll update a few days before the end). The winner will receive a prized Golden Compass and a hearty round of applause from everyone at the Guild.

Let's see what you can come up with this year!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

One of my favorite Challenges, some of my best maps have come out of these. I have so much going on, but how can I refuse.

This is the list I generated, I seem to be drawn to # 10.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fantasy Random Generator 2019.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	116916

My list:

Somewhere on Knoll Close in a nearby village. The street is occupied by an attacking army of orcs.

A small room on the 6th level of the Dread Halls of Devastation. Groaning can be heard in the south side of the room.

A small room on the 11th level of the Crypts of Malevolent Souls. A pack of cruel wights lurks here.

A flooded sinkhole in the Dusk Jungle. The sky is filled with howling winds and flashes of lightning.

A narrow passage on the 3rd level of the Barrow of Awesome Ages. Several square holes are cut into the walls here.

Somewhere on Assassin's Alley in the city of Icford, in a distant kingdom. The street is filled with a metallic odor.

A large room on the 4th level of the Dread Catacombs of Alardas the Adamant. A company of skeleton warriors lurks here.

A rocky hill amidst a cratered field.

A dark room on the 9th level of the Cyst of Baleful Devastation. A horde of ravenous ghouls lurks here.

The overgrown ruins of an ancient palace in the Hauratra Jungle. The air is strangely still and quiet.
    I wish I'd gotten a World/Plane result. These are so bare bones, comparatively.

This list was generated for me when clicking the link, number four was an exact match I had in mind for a new challenge:

Name:	C80AE716-9580-4F11-BC77-9380645B9E70.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	351.3 KB 
ID:	116917

@Bogie 10 is pretty cool, like 7 also from a mood perspective.

@rdanhenry yeah yours seem very zoomed in like a battlemap.

@Marc love 4, living spells are part of one of my homebrews.

Name:	safasffsa.PNG 
Views:	75 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	116918

2 and 4 really stand out to me as crazy fantasy ideas, 6 was just if I want a normalish map. This challenge seems like it's going to be super fun.
    Last edited by GodofMoxie; 08-08-2019 at 03:11 AM.

I always enjoy seeing what other people have generated.

@rdanhenry Sorry you didn't get more appealing choices. A few of those could probably be adapted into regional maps, if that suits you any better.

@Marc That sounds very intriguing. Interested to see how you adapt the idea.

I don't know if I'll be able to participate, but I had to generate my list anyway! This is what I got...

Name:	screenshot.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	116919

I have half an idea for the Bredy Forest one. Maybe a small campsite in a clearing. Not sure, though.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

@Marc, number four looks awesome. Great choice. I like a lot of the ones on your list too.

@rdanhenry yeah too many room results.

@GoM You also generated a list with lots of interesting results.

I too don't know whether or not Ill participate, but here's my list just in case:

Name:	Generation result.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	116920

This sounds like fun, hopefully ill get some time to join, though I'm not sure which of these would work best..

Name:	ooo.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	116921

Awww... so sad I don't have any time to join the challenge ! I wanted to try it so much

@ChickPea that ones really hard. They are a bit vague.

@Falconius good results a lot to chose from.

Sorry you're missing out Bee.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast